Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on replacing the stock rims on my 00 GT with FR500s. Can anyone tell me why folks switch from the 17" to 18"? What's the benefit? I need advice please on whether I should upgrade from existing 17" to 18". Thanks!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
It's mostly a preference thing. I like the look of a well proportioned side wall so i like the stock size. Another big factor is to find out how much more the tires will be for an 18" I love getting 17" 275 section rubber all around for less than 500$ same tires in 18 are just about 740$ (falken fk452)

·
Registered
673 Posts
WheelStander said:
Your car will get slower going from 17 to 18.
I've never heard anything about that, but its just for looks. If you like to see more sidewalk keep it 17". I believe 17-18 is perfect for these cars, any bigger and it can start to look like a donk.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
WheelStander said:
Simple engineering...larger tires = slower rotation.

And worse gas mileage as well.
Also larger wheel heaver the wheel= more weight- more weight slower car.
But main reason is appearance like said above 18s fill in the wheel well better.

·
Registered
673 Posts
WheelStander said:
Simple engineering...larger tires = slower rotation.

And worse gas mileage as well.
Well yeah, but when you change your rim size the overall wheel size doesn't have to change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! After what I'm hearing I think I'll stick with the 17s. Now do you recommend staggered (10 rear and 9 wide front) for DD Mustangs? I don't have a track to take it to here in Hawaii so car is for DD only.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Kinda just happened, a friend is parting out an 03 and couldn't pass up the deals.

Cobra front and rear, trufiber hood, Cobra wheels and Cobra seats.

That said I am shaving the rear end so I will only have badges on my fenders.

Kenne Bell as soon as I break in my clutch.

In the end just a nice clean street car with some up to date technology inside and about 450 rwhp.

Good enough for me with a total investment in the car and mods of about 12k.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Trickster929 said:
I'm planning on replacing the stock rims on my 00 GT with FR500s. Can anyone tell me why folks switch from the 17" to 18"? What's the benefit? I need advice please on whether I should upgrade from existing 17" to 18". Thanks!
I'd say 18" if your not going to lower it. 17" if your going to lower. Just because I feel there's a lot of wheel well showing with 17"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts