Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a original 289 but i want to swap for a bigger engine. i found a 351 cleavland for sale, can i put it in this car and what type of mods do i have to make.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It will bolt right up without any major modifications. Your C4 or small block bellhousing will work fine. The 289 motor mounts will work, also. I had a 4 speed in my '67, but I found a place in Mass. that made headers for this swap. The Cleveland is probably 100lbs heavier than the 289, so the nose will sit a little lower. You can reduce the engine's weight by installing an aluminum intake and headers. A larger radiator will be needed. One for a big block '67-'70 Mustang will work. You can also get a good aftermarket aluminun one. You may have to relocate the ps pump and a/c compressor if you have them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I put a 351 c in a 67 fastback, use the standard small block motor mounts, use a 1970 mustang radiator and make your own mounts. I went with a 4 speed, and all the linkage is a an easy swap. auto swap is easy too. 351's make great power. canted valves kick ***. I went 11.2 compression ratio, 292 hyd. cam, 13 lb alum flywheel, and am running about 500 horse. U cant go wrong, just get a good block and dont bore more than .030.

·
Registered
44 Posts
lets assume that your 1967 mustang is in good to excelent condition. Origional mustangs sell for between 30 to 50 thousand dollars. yank the 289 and drop in a cleveland and you will have a very fast mustang worth about 5000 dollars. good luck, and please destroy your origional mustang so mine might be worth 75000 dollars thank you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
a lighter 351w would be better and bolt right in. The 351c was offered in 69, so it can be done with the right motor mounts and trans..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts