Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1973 Ford Bronco that had a 3 speed manual transmission. I am going back with a AOD transmission. I was wandering if anyone out there could help me figure out what would be the best vehicle, year, make, and model to get a 302 and a AOD transmission out of. Ive been told a 89 mustang is the best but not sure. I know that will have to get the adapter to bolt up the dana 20 transfercase. Could anyone please help. Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you are wanting an engine from that late of a year I will also assume you want a total switch to EFI. Using the EFI would be the best way to go with the AOD as the AOD was never made to be on a carb engine and takes a special linkage for the trottle valve cable that has to be adjusted just right or the trans will fail quickly. Lokar is the only one who makes these I think. You might just want to pull an engine/tranny combo out of an F-150 4wd to get the AOD you want plus it will have heavier duty bands and bearings that a car tranny would. Use the upper and lower intake from a car application to get the hood clearance you will need for a stock Bronco hood. You may also need other swap items which I am sure the people at Jeff's Bronco Graveyard will have along with answers to questions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
why, the AOD is junk, plus it will need to be for a 4x4 which makes it a bigger piece of junk, the 302 is a good idea but I'd stick with a 4 speed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts