Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my eyes in this 1978 mustang that does not run or start for a good price. However, based on the dmv’s website, one would need a smog certificate to get the title transferred. Since the car does not run or start, there is no way of getting it smoged. I am in California. I am a total newbie as come to buying older project cars like this.:bow: Anybody having any solution to this would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
You can go to the DMV and get the paperwork started, and transferred into your name, but the registration will not be issued until the car passes emissions testing.
The registration and title for the car will be in "limbo", so be sure to save all of the paperwork from the DMV. That way the registration process will go easier when you finally get the vehicle running and smogged.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I recently had my eyes in this 1978 mustang that does not run or start for a good price. However, based on the dmv’s website, one would need a smog certificate to get the title transferred. Since the car does not run or start, there is no way of getting it smoged. I am in California. I am a total newbie as come to buying older project cars like this.:bow: Anybody having any solution to this would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Take the car's current title, properly assigned over to you, over into Arizona, say, in Mohave County, no smog test or inspection required, and get it titled in Arizona. You need not get registration immediately, but if you like, they will allow you to sign an affidavit stating the car will not be driven on any public road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for the replies, I really appreciate it, gonna get the title transferred next weekend and see how it works out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts