Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my motor rebuilt and I am looking to do my brakes, I plan on making this car a daily driver, so what are the best pads and rotors for this? Should I convert my 4 lugs to five?

·
Administrator
3,028 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining MustangEvolution!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
I encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you’ve chosen to join our community.

We’ll wait for some recommendations by others. I recently switched to EBC brake pads for use with my Brembo Rotors. Those are appropriate for my car, but likely overkill for yours. Let’s see if we can get some recommendations from Beechkid, Dino, and 5LHO.

·
Tech-Expert
2006 Mustang GT Deluxe
63 Posts
I just got my motor rebuilt and I am looking to do my brakes, I plan on making this car a daily driver, so what are the best pads and rotors for this? Should I convert my 4 lugs to five?
A 5 lug conversion would give you far more options, and there are plenty of SN95s in the junkyards where you can source rear axles and front suspension units.
Your car is lightweight and doesn't need big brakes. My suggestion is to get all of the above plus the front/rear brakes from an SN95 Cobra as these had 13" front rotors. It's a nice cheap upgrade and since the SN95 was essentially built on the same platform as the Fox Body from 1979, retrofitting those parts should be fairly straightforward.

Reactions: crjackson

·
Lorraine's driver
7,778 Posts
IMO, I would not convert to 5 lug unless I had a larger reason to do so, like the rearend needed to be rebuilt, etc. I believe I'd go for a "stock" type replacement if everything is working fine and you just want to refresh everything. I've know several who have bought rotors from Rotor Pros and were happy, but that was for 03-04 Mach 1's and 03-04 Cobra's. You could give them a try to see what kind of options you'd have.

ROTORPROS - Performance Brakes - Brake Pads, Brake Rotors and Brake Kits

·
Tech-Expert
312 Posts
FYI- I have run CarboTech linings on all my vehicles for 30 years now (ever since Velva-Touch was shut down back in the 80's). On my Mustang (4 wheel drum) I run at their recommendation, the Carbotech 1521 linings

Choosing the Correct Compound – Carbotech (ctbrakes.com)

Our Mustang has been in the family since new (special order) and it originally came with velva-Touch linings..... I got the last set mfg in 1986...... afterwards I found a gent named Larry Narcis... who was formally at Wellman (designing brakes)... and started his own company CarboTech. He was always great to work with and he was the one that Mercedes picked to design & build the brake linings for their "New" supercar (back in the late 80's). Larry sold the business a few years ago to another family but they have been great to work with as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts