Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to convert a standard 1979 Mustang with a 5.0 liter V8 with a 4 speed transmission to an approx 5.0 liter diesel V8? And if so, where can I find information about how to do said conversion, thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It can be done, but the parts will be hard to find. For a few years, the Lincoln Mark VII came with a diesel engine. It is a fox platform car, the same as the mustang. I assume most, if not all the parts will bolt in. If you find one of them, then the swap should be relativly easy, but the problem would be finding it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It can be done, it will be costly and you probably would be the first one to do it, so I doubt there is any info on said conversion

·
Registered
36 Posts
As mentioned, you'd be the first.

If you are looking for about the same horsepower as was stock in your '79; a 3.0 liter V6 turbo diesel would do it, and provide a great deal more torque. Of course, very expensive.

A cheaper alternative is a NGD 3.0 E (3 litre 4 cylinder diesel) provides 180 hp and 295 ft-lbs; pretty close to your V8 when it was new. This engine is made in Brazil and will cost you about $8000-. It is slightly heavier than a 302.

Another alternative is a Cummins 4BT (do a search). They are HEAVY - a bit more than a big block, though cheaper. You'd need a new transmission, drive shaft, rear end and front springs for starters.

·
Registered
39 Posts
there used to be a 62 Fairlane wagon running around the neighborhood with a diesel engine, so it can be done. Find a old Mercedes or other diesel powered car for a donnor..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts