Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mustang has a faulty fuel gauge, I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase a new fuel level sender and gauge.

My mustang has a 5.0 (302) V8 if this has any relevance and I live in Vancouver Canada if anyone knows a store that sells the parts in question.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The most common cause of eratic reading/ nominal reading of the fuel guage is a bad "float" on the tank sending unit.
With age the float - like a mini brass hollow barrel develops tiny perforations which allow the float to get filled with gasoline and no longer float as it should. (see EBay - item 300180705079)
A float itself is inexpensive, about $10-12, but the work involved is considerably more. You likely don't need a new gas guage or a complete sending unit, this item is probably about $120, and most Mustang specialty shops can secure one for you ,if you really need it. I like CJ Pony parts, Vermont , USA.
One word of advice, unless you want your mother to lose a favorite child, DO NOT undertake this repair yourself. Gasoline fumes are very dangerous!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts