Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im 17 and this is my first car. i dont drive it yet though. i bought it off a guy about 3 or 4 months ago i got it for 1400, its only a 4 cylinder motor till i get more money, its got 59k origonal miles. he said it sat for 5 years. so when i go to start it it starts but it doesnt want to idle. it will seem like it wants to shut off. and if i put the petal to the floor fast it will almost shut off. then i take it off and it will still idle funnny. also if i give it a little gas then let off the rpms will still fall below 10, but if i do let it idle long enough the rpms will be a steady 10. soo.. whats the problem? is it just needing a tuneup?

·
Registered
10 Posts
i sort of agree, car sat for years. change fuel as gas is stale (fuel goes stale after about a year if it doesnt get used) and the filters. and stick foot hard down and hold it there for a long while. as the car hasnt been used at highway speed for a long time. dont expect it to do it straight away also a fuel cleaner in the tank will help to get rid of some of the dirt in the lines. then give it a tune up after it is running well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sat for years, so bet the carb is full of evaporated gas deposits, as is the fuel pump. Get a spray can of starting spray & shoot some right down the carb. If it runs with the starting spray, then the problem is in the fuel system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts