Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been wanting to post about this for awhile now, but couldn't.

I have a good friend that has been in the process of installing a 2.0L Ecoboost into a '86 SVO. Originally it was going to be in 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords, but since that mag is merged into Muscle Mustangs now, I can post pics of it...

This conversion has been a little more intense than he originally thought. Ford has actually been quite a bit of help. But, there has been a lot of fabrication...Of course since the paint was not in good shape, but the body was, it was painted in Gotta Have it Green...

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1206.JPG

·
Registered
102 Posts
Makes me want to go look for a rolling chassis and order the motor. Looks awesome.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What transmission and drivetrain combo was used in the swap? Also, what electronics (ECU) were used?
The tranny is a T-5 that originally came with the SVO. from what I remember, the clutch assembly is from a '79 Mustang due to the weird mating. Will also has to make an adapter plate to mate up the tranny to the engine. Ford supplied the ECU. The motor is pretty much self contained from Ford. The engine sets back quite a bit further than the stock 2.3 L keeping the T-5 mounted in the same spot. The power steering assembly I stock, but with a late model Focus pump with a custom made bracket.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I can get the answers for you...

BTW, the next project is wilder...Think '64 Econoline Truck with a turbo'd 300 CID straight 6.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SRETUS do you know how he got the engine mounted? Did he need any special engine mounts or k member?
He had to make his own mounts modified form another mount set. No special K-member. Its the stock SVO front suspension. I can get a hold of him in the next day or two if you want me to check on exactly how he mounted it. I wasn't in on that part of the build. I came in on the easy stuff...:whistling:

FWIW, he did have to cut into the firewall to set the engine back in order for it to line up with the stock tranny location. There was also a mod for the oil system since the stock 2.0L Eco Boost is set up for front wheel drive and is canted at an angle.

After all was said and done, he said he would never do it again. The original thought was to come up with a kit to sell. But it is a lot more work than most people would want to do...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Engine mounts

I would love the information, I am gathering as much as I can before delving into this swap. I.e. To make an informed decision. I know maximum motorsports was working on something for a project ugly horse but that dried up a while back. So then I saw this post and wanted to know more info. Thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would love the information, I am gathering as much as I can before delving into this swap. I.e. To make an informed decision. I know maximum motorsports was working on something for a project ugly horse but that dried up a while back. So then I saw this post and wanted to know more info. Thanks!
I'll try to get as much info as I can in the next few days from Will.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got off the phone with Will about the mods...

Stock SVO K member. Engine mount was custom made. Lots of test fitting, welding, etc.

Cut into firewall for engine high pressure fuel pump to clear. Engine is basically sitting where it should. Tranny is stock location.

Adapter plate for mounting stock T-5 to the 2.0L engine. The clutch assembly is a mis-mash of parts. I can get a run down on those parts, I forgot to ask him about it.

Oil pickup is custom made since the engine is now sitting vertical instead of slightly canted. Also to clear the stock K member.

Intake is not hooked up yet to the NACA hood scoop. That will come at a later date.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Should have waited for the engine they put in the 2015 EcoBoost Mustang, it may not need so many mods since it is setup for rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Should have waited for the engine they put in the 2015 EcoBoost Mustang, it may not need so many mods since it is setup for rear wheel drive.
They thought about it, but there was a time crunch. Originally it was going to be an article in 5.0 Mustangs Mag written by a friend of theirs to come out last Summer or early Fall. The 2.3L wasn't out yet in crate form. This project actually started in the Fall of 2013.

After it was finished, Will did say he should have waited, but it is a fun unique car...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yep quite a project! Always thought they should have done a GT version of the SVO with a 5.0 in it! At that time, I had a new 86 GT and would have love to have had the 4 wheel disk brakes 5 lug wheels and adjustable suspension!

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Looks like a fun project, I'll have to get the magazine.
I had an 86 Mercury Capri 5.0l, first year for fuel injection, and loved the car............it's in my pictures.
I'd love to take a ride in the car, bet it is fun!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts