Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 mustang lx 5.0 engine that I was wondering if it will go with a wiring harness from a 1988 mustang lx 5.0 cause the engine on my 1988 mustang lx is going to need to be over hauled so I have this extra engine that I want to drop on my 1988 mustang lx 5.0 if anyone can help me I would much appreciate it cause so far the only thing I know that is diffrent is the connection to the maf sensor but I haven't look into it

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Unless its been converted or a Cali car there should be no MAF.. Either way should be a direct swap, plug and play! :good:

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
if they are both cali cars then they arent even close. thats what dead was saying. in 88 california cars went to MAF. the 87 was speed density.

but it would still be a good idea to go ahead and swap in the MAF stuff. which if the 88 is california, it would be perfect. :good:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are both California cars and they both have a maf sensor its just the connection to the maf sensor is diffrent as far as I noticed that's the only thing so far that I have noticed diffrent but I haven't really looked into it hopefully the engine goes right in with no modifications done to the harness

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
1987mustanglx50 said:
They are both California cars and they both have a maf sensor its just the connection to the maf sensor is diffrent as far as I noticed that's the only thing so far that I have noticed diffrent but I haven't really looked into it hopefully the engine goes right in with no modifications done to the harness
the only way thats possible is that the 87 has been converted to MAF. because it doesnt have that factory.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dreamstang said:
the only way thats possible is that the 87 has been converted to MAF. because it doesnt have that factory.
I think the 1987 mustangs from california have maf sensors I have 2 87 mustang 5.0s and they have maf sensors and am the second owner to both and they both have maf as far as I know the owners told me that they are stock from everything and I know 2 friends that have them and they have maf sensors as well

·
Banned
422 Posts
1987mustanglx50 said:
I think the 1987 mustangs from california have maf sensors I have 2 87 mustang 5.0s and they have maf sensors and am the second owner to both and they both have maf as far as I know the owners told me that they are stock from everything and I know 2 friends that have them and they have maf sensors as well
All 87s came factory speed density even the california cars. They would have had to be converted to mass air

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok i will go monday to the ford dealer and ask and i also checked all data and shopkey5 and both say that an 1987 mustang lx 5.0 have a maf sensor

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
1987mustanglx50 said:
ok i will go monday to the ford dealer and ask and i also checked all data and shopkey5 and both say that an 1987 mustang lx 5.0 have a maf sensor
Not to argue but I'm not so sure about that.. Never herd that before.. Maybe it was an option or they were built early in the 88' run as 87's?

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
deadsp0t said:
Not to argue but I'm not so sure about that.. Never herd that before.. Maybe it was an option or they were built early in the 88' run as 87's?
1987mustanglx50 said:
I am 99.9999% sure no mustangs had MAF in 1987. The other .0001% is only for liability purposes. :good:

·
Banned
422 Posts
dreamstang said:
I am 99.9999% sure no mustangs had MAF in 1987. The other .0001% is only for liability purposes. :good:
I will pick up the other .0001%. What is different between the two sensors on your cars? I know their is a 4 wire sensor and a 5 wire. Is that the difference you were referring to?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will pick up the other .0001%. What is different between the two sensors on your cars? I know their is a 4 wire sensor and a 5 wire. Is that the difference you were referring to?
no they both have 4 wires but the connection it self is diffrent one is round and the other is square

1 - 20 of 56 Posts