Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a 89 mustang Lx 5.0 auto its all stock except a set of flowys. I just replaced the mass air sensor because it was bad. along with new plugs because it was loading up with carbon when the mass was bad. So now it runs ok and dont miss or nothing but it wont stay idling unless it has a load on it like sitting in gear idiling. It also is blowing oil smoke when it is reved up past 3,000 RPM. What could be the issue? I hooked it to a code reader and its saying the MAP sensor and the TPS sensor so i replaced them and it still does the same thing. WHY?

·
Registered
5 Posts
have you tried running some fuel cleaner through the tank? the intake may not be leaking but it could be blocked, if the oil smoke comes and goes with warm up its your valve stems and time to fix the heads. otherwise assume its piston rings and its rebuild time

·
Registered
35 Posts
before we all start talking MAPs and MAFs and rebuilds, lets get back to basics, check for air leaks around vacuum hoses etc. a quick way to do this is spray some wd40 around the connections on the hoses etc,, if the revs rise then you have found your leak. also check the PCV valve for operation before you assume its piston rings. Get hold of a vacuum guage and connect it up, these are by far the most useful diagnostic tool you can own and come with instructions to interpret the readings. the problem with these forums is armchair experts who think the can diagnose a problem without seeing/hearing it!

·
Registered
42 Posts
check your oil for fuel contamination (pull out the dipstick and smell the oil), you said it was running really rich, then change it and your filter if overdue, if not just drive it it will burn it off through the PCV system

I think you need some automotive training also, your vehicle cannot have a MAF and a MAP sensor. If it has a MAF sensor, and something that looks like a MAP sensor, that is a BARO sensor and can be easily tested for accuracy by looking at the data stream or by using a voltage to frequency converter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts