Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5.0 HO in my 65 Ford Mustang. Summer temps here in the desert go above 105 quite often. Two weeks ago I replaced plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor as part of my maintenance schedule. My car has "stalled' on me several times on my commute home during the hottest part of the day. I have replaced external fuel pump and filter and the problem is still the same. Pump was quite old anyway.
Will be driving along, temp gauge is still below H, engine just starts to cut out like its not getting any fuel and will quit. Sit on the side of the road for 30 minutes and it will finally start up and I can finish the drive home. This just started this summer, the last 2 years I did not have this problem and it was even hotter then. Any ideas? I have a new aluminum radiator that I have been meaning to put in, not sure if it will help this problem though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
it sounds like you're using the1990 EEC-IV ignition system and the TFI (Thick Film Integrated) ignition module on the side of the distributor is over heating, causing a "no spark condition" until it cools down.
replacing the TFI ignition module with a new one will solve the problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
try checking out the ignition module. It is an electric component, that sits inside the distributor. If you look at the module and it's split into two were the clue came off, replace it. It may be an expensive part. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts