Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody I got a quick question...I just picked up a 5.0 foxbody and a few weeks ago and I'm trying to figure out about how much hp came with it...I know stock 5.0 came with 225hp. Here are the upgrades: bbk cold air intake. Gt40 upper and lower manifold,70mm throttle body.3.73 gears,bbk aluminum pullys...sub-frame connecters. I'm not registering it until spring. I just was wondering how much hp I'm working with here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks...I was thinking about a 4 bank chip...how much ho do u think that would add??

·
Registered
572 Posts
Zero. Don't waste your money. Start small. Due the full exhaust with some long tube headers. 70 mm throttle body. Then save some cash pick up a nice set of heads and a good cam and then you will be sitting around that 315 rwhp mark. Then if you get serious but some boost to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already got the 70mm throttle. What do you like better: h pipes or x pipes? Either way I'm gonna do 2.50 and flow masters. I like shorty headers though...

·
Registered
572 Posts
I always went with X Pipe. But I would recommend long tube headers. You'll see about a 30 HP difference in those and shorties. As for flows good choice I have those on my 1995

·
Banned
8,779 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
Brett Greene said:
I always went with X Pipe. But I would recommend long tube headers. You'll see about a 30 HP difference in those and shorties. As for flows good choice I have those on my 1995
The horsepower difference is no where near 30hp.

·
Registered
572 Posts
93slowstang said:
The horsepower difference is no where near 30hp.
I have Dyno sheets to prove it. Actually was 33 rwhp difference. The guy that tunes my cars has does it a 1000 times. His personal DD is a 94 and he put shorties on with a full HCI and a bunch of other stuff, dynoed his car. Exact same set up 2 weeks later only diff was long tubes and a x pipe he picked up 33 rwhp. There are also tons are articles in FFnM about the difference.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Brett Greene said:
I have Dyno sheets to prove it. Actually was 33 rwhp difference. The guy that tunes my cars has does it a 1000 times. His personal DD is a 94 and he put shorties on with a full HCI and a bunch of other stuff, dynoed his car. Exact same set up 2 weeks later only diff was long tubes and a x pipe he picked up 33 rwhp. There are also tons are articles in FFnM about the difference.
Did he go from shorties with cats to LTs with no cats? I'm not saying you are fibing, but I only picked up around 15 HP when I put LTs on my 94 cobra

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Don't forget, when dyno runs are that far apart the temperature and humidity changes can make quite a difference.
To be as accurate as possible the runs would need to be done the same day or under verfied identical conditions.

Also, engine mods play a big part in dyno tests like that.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Since you brought up magazines here's a comparison back to back from 5.0 magazine.
Short & Long-Tube Headers Test - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine
Good find. :good:

From the article -
The results were interesting: the engine gained nearly 8 hp, and a little over 5 lb-ft of torque at 3,500 rpm over the long-tubes. However, the long-tube's torque and horsepower curves lasted longer (see dyno charts), suggesting that these headers would indeed make even more power over short-tube headers if used on a more modified engine. This is due to the fact that a long tube header can make use of the engine's exhaust pulses to "pull" exhaust gas from the cylinder, providing optimized scavenging. A short-tube header, with its much shorter primary tubes, simply does not have the same advantage.
This backs up what I was saying about engine mods.
Basically the more mods you have, the better chance that you will see larger HP differences between the long and short tube headers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts