Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering about torque/hp ratings my bro can expect

My brother has a 1996 4.6L GT.

mods: K & N, 32 valve??? Upper intake (not sure how this works, but he had the stock one replaced with another one when it was in for recall), Duals with 2 hi-flow cats and Flomaster 40 series mufflers.

Does anyone have a similar setup, and know what HP/torque range we are sitting in? Also, if someone would like to explain the ui situation....

Thanks...my first post here (i used to post at 232stangs yay!)

-silverspeed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Let me elaborate... I am his bro, and decided to join in hopes of shedding some light on my new car. I just got it a little while ago, and from the past owners description, when his radiator blew it affected the top portion of the motor (Intake Manifold?). He had to get it replaced. Well, he had a family friend who worked at a performance shop and instead of putting back on the stock 16v stuff, the guy installed stuff from the 32v cobra engine.

I guess my questions are: Is this possible? If so, what horsepower gains? What exactly can be transplanted from the 16v to the 32v?

The car felt much faster than other GT's I drove with only exhaust and CAI. It has stock gears in it, so that is ruled out.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Well, its just a 16 valve, not a 32 Valve, sorry. Only Cobras have 32 valves. Not so sure on that upper intake, he might have a C&L, Dragon, Trickflow, etc, they all add a few horses, the high flow cats will add a few, flows just add noise really, stock mufflers flow as good or better. The best way to get more horses from that engine is to put PI heads and intakes from a 99+ 4.6 on it, that is an instant 40 hp or so. Right now, it was stock at about 225, so he has maybe 240 max, probably not that. I am sure it sounds good though.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
my buddies 97 i wanna say blew the lower intake manifold apart...but anyway, its possible that someone did a head swap on it, and put the DOHC cobra heads on it, but i belive you would have to change the intakes as well.Im not sure... do you have any pics of the motor? welcome to the site by the way:)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I wouldn't think a Cobra intake would fit really, but I suppose it might be possible, sounds like BS to me though. If it came off a cobra it would be Aluminum, if its the stock one its plastic.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
quick check for ya on that, Cobra intakes have dual throttle bodies on them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hm, well that is wierd that he would BS me like that. Yah, it is a black top manifold, and it doesn't have the cobra on it. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
96GTwhite said:
Hm, well that is wierd that he would BS me like that. Yah, it is a black top manifold, and it doesn't have the cobra on it. Thanks for the help.
pictures would def help... cant you ask him what parts he changed over?

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you have a "black" top, its a stock GT intake, the water passage just behind the alternator should be aluminum, if it's the 'newest' intake done by recall. Also, there is no way that you can have a cobra intake on stock heads,unless head swap was done as well, due to the intake having 16 ports versus the stock having only 8. And if you did have the cobra head swap done, the heads and valve covers would be massive, the DOHC Cobra engine is stuffed in that compartment..... get the pics... :p:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think I might have run across what actually is different about my intake manifold. It seems like the guy i bought it from was just misinformed. When the recall took place (3 or 4 years after 1996) instead of putting on the same intake manifold, he put on a new one that had fixed the previous problem and refined some of the other parts on the intake to get more efficiency out of the part. So, next time I am home I will post pictures. Too bad it isn't the cobra mod, but heck this one is said to increase around 10-12 hp so I will take that. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To get 32v heads you also need a completely new wiring harness...

If you ahd the "PI" intake manifold it's supposed to add 30-35 hp w/ adapter plates from livernois and 15 or so without.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I don't think it will fit.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
those year gts have issues with the lower intake messing up so thats probably what was fixed, with just a stock car they put down 215/285 bhp or 178/235 tq (with a manual... with auto MUCH lower numbers...)

they run 15.2s with a stock your probably in the 15.0 range now. with an auto .... 15.5 stock 15.3s now definatly get pictures of the motor.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It is not worth it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts