Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if a 1996 MUSTANG GT 4.6 LTR MOTOR with a 2001 5 SPEED TRANSMISSION TREMEC WITH CLUTCH will fit into a 2001 V6 Stang Convert. ?

anyhelp will be appreciated.

James

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Well, I'll go ahead and say it because I know it will get said... With enough money, you can do anything. Thats about all I can say on this subject, and that I know it won't be cheap because you also have to look at suspension, rear axle, computer, ect. ect. Someone else will come in here with more knowledge on the subject.

·
Premium Member
19,783 Posts
They will mount together. The 96 4.6 liter engine won't put out very much power though is the only problem.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just get a 2001 GT motor, if you cant just get the 96 motor & do the p1 head swap later. Or even better get some ported patriot heads. :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
It will have alot more torque then the motor that came with it, even if you don't do the head swap.

·
Registered
126 Posts
if its a gr8 deal roll with it but prolly has high miles on a 96. if it does its not worth it and if you arent doing the swap your self id just save for a newer (less milage) motor cause you dont want to have to rebuild it. you can always make it fit but im not sure of what all it would take

·
Registered
517 Posts
cjd10 said:
if its a gr8 deal roll with it but prolly has high miles on a 96. if it does its not worth it and if you arent doing the swap your self id just save for a newer (less milage) motor cause you dont want to have to rebuild it. you can always make it fit but im not sure of what all it would take
He is right it prolly has high miles.

·
Registered
582 Posts
yeah it'll work, no cutting or welding... but again, unless your going to mod the engine (headswaps) I wouldn't go to all the trouble, if you could get your hands on a 4 vavle though, yeah i'd do it or at least a newer 4.6... as far as money goes you'd be better to sell yours and buy a newer car, if you wanna learn alot, then do the swap, cause it comes out about equal, or close enough (not counting labor)

and this is coming from a guy that did a total 4 cyclinder to v8 swap in a fox body, a car thats actually easier to swap parts in and out, not to meantion I went from auto to manual too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
lowflyn said:
They will mount together. The 96 4.6 liter engine won't put out very much power though is the only problem.
I beg to differ :p

·
Registered
82 Posts
You will have to do futz around with the wiring harnesses as well. Ported 96 heads will flow better than PI heads. My new motor im building is as follows

95 crown vic block
vic crank
pistons and rods from a 2004 4.6
96 heads (ported)
99 PI cams
ported 2004 Plenum

Should be a nice motor when Im done. Main problem you will have is wiring issues though.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
AlmostN8 said:
Ported 96 heads will flow better than PI heads.
Agreed, the 96-98 heads are true 4.6 heads and the PI heads
are 5.4 heads with HUGE ports compared to the 96-8's, which
flow more (ported) than PI heads (stock) and with much higher velocity!

The rest of your combo looks nice Almost :D

You've probably seen this but I'll link it here for the others:

4.6 cylinder head info:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah as you sayin there Im gonna go ported with PI cams and replace the 96-98 pistons with a set of new 04 dished. should be a nice combo. Now I just gotta finish building the wifes car and I can worry with mine lol.

·
Premium Member
19,783 Posts
AlmostN8 said:
I beg to differ :p
I was talking about if you don't mod it...I keep up with if not pass stock GT's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts