Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to the site, I have a 1996 Mustang GT and my birthday is in 2 weeks and I graduate in June. I will have around $1000-$1500. What upgrades will get me the most horsepower? BTW my stang is all stock. Please leave me replies!

·
Registered
704 Posts
It's pretty straightforward once you get all the pieces, so you could just do it yourself. I helped a buddy do a PI swap over a weekend on his 97. 99-00 parts require a new timing chain cover and a few other pieces, so make sure you get 01-04.
Shops will charge around $1,500-$2,000 (based on what I've seen from others having it quoted).
I wouldn't do a PI swap on a motor with over 100k though, it's not worth the money.
If you want to keep it cheap, just do a throttle body, o/r midpipe, mufflers (not a catback - they're a waste of money unless you really want one), gears, and a tuner.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's pretty straightforward once you get all the pieces, so you could just do it yourself. I helped a buddy do a PI swap over a weekend on his 97. 99-00 parts require a new timing chain cover and a few other pieces, so make sure you get 01-04.
Shops will charge around $1,500-$2,000 (based on what I've seen from others having it quoted).
I wouldn't do a PI swap on a motor with over 100k though, it's not worth the money.
If you want to keep it cheap, just do a throttle body, o/r midpipe, mufflers (not a catback - they're a waste of money unless you really want one), gears, and a tuner.
My car has 92300 but the odometer stopped working 2 months ago. I'm guessing it has around 95k now. And how long would it take to swap heads? I'm only 17

·
Registered
704 Posts
My car has 92300 but the odometer stopped working 2 months ago. I'm guessing it has around 95k now. And how long would it take to swap heads? I'm only 17
It took us the better part of Friday night and Saturday, but we have some experience building motors.
If you really want to, go and do some research and see if you think you can attempt it.
Given your age and experience, I'd just do a throttle body/exhaust/gears/tuner and do little things here and there to make your car stand out a bit. I'm not talking big time ricer body kits, just small stuff like polishing your brake calipers (it takes forever, but it is gorgeous).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It took us the better part of Friday night and Saturday, but we have some experience building motors.
If you really want to, go and do some research and see if you think you can attempt it.
Given your age and experience, I'd just do a throttle body/exhaust/gears/tuner and do little things here and there to make your car stand out a bit. I'm not talking big time ricer body kits, just small stuff like polishing your brake calipers (it takes forever, but it is gorgeous).
Yeah I hate ricers lol. I'm all about performance before appearance. And I'm debating whether I should sell my 96 gt and combine money for a newer gt

·
Registered
704 Posts
SN95s can pull off looks that New Edges can't. For example, thin spoke wheels are gorgeous on an SN95 but they look awful on a NE. It's all about what you want in the long run. Both cars can make the same power if you know what you're doing. I passed up a 97 cobra for my 01 GT because the SN95s just aren't my taste. It's completely up to what you want out of your car.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SN95s can pull off looks that New Edges can't. For example, thin spoke wheels are gorgeous on an SN95 but they look awful on a NE. It's all about what you want in the long run. Both cars can make the same power if you know what you're doing. I passed up a 97 cobra for my 01 GT because the SN95s just aren't my taste. It's completely up to what you want out of your car.
I had a 2000 gt last year and I liked it. But it was a vert. I just want the Most hp and torque. Exhaust, tune. Intake. And throttle body is only gonna get me 25hp and Itsgonna cost me like $1k What about a stage 1 cam?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I had a 2000 gt last year and I liked it. But it was a vert. I just want the Most hp and torque. Exhaust, tune. Intake. And throttle body is only gonna get me 25hp and Itsgonna cost me like $1k What about a stage 1 cam?
Stage 1 is useless.
If you're going to cam it, do stage 2 minimum. Anderson Ford Motorsports probably makes the best 2v cams there are.
Trust me, you don't need loads of power at your age, I was there and I drove a 500hp 1978 Corvette back in high school and for the first 2 years of college. It's not worth the money it takes to get there. Love your car the way it is and save up for college.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I personally think our year with pi heads and intake pushes more hp than a new edge. Considering on stock all you fid was a pi swap our compression is higher and we put put a little more than new edges. However downside is the higher compression when it comea to boost unless you build the motor for it. As for your question you will need pi manifold and the crossover pipe that runs under the manifold since it does change from our year to a new edge

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I personally think our year with pi heads and intake pushes more hp than a new edge. Considering on stock all you fid was a pi swap our compression is higher and we put put a little more than new edges. However downside is the higher compression when it comea to boost unless you build the motor for it. As for your question you will need pi manifold and the crossover pipe that runs under the manifold since it does change from our year to a new edge
+1 Where can I find the crossover pipe? I can get the manifold on ebay as Well as the pi heads

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Crossover pipe could be gotten from a dealer or junkyard however if from a yard id suggest from a crown vic 04 to 09 cause of oxidation possibley or just old age

1 - 20 of 36 Posts