Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Mustang V6 with a 3.8 engine and the car has been running hot for several months now. I've owned this car since 1996, and the temp gauge has always hovered around 25%, but lately it has been slightly over 50%. The radiator and water pump were replaced around a year ago, so I think they're OK.
The radiator is full. I notice the fan never turns on until I get to approx 50% on my temp gauge. Is there supposed to be a low speed function to this fan that may not be working? It is a one speed fan (only 2 wires coming in) and it is the original fan. Since there is only 2 wires, I'm confused as to if it even has a low speed and high speed function, or does it only come on when the engine is really hot. Could it be the CCRM that provides a signal for the lower speed, and if so, could the CCRM be bad? I see the 1995 Mustang has a L SPD EDF MNTR fuse (10A) for low speed operation, fed from the CCRM, but I don't see that anywhere in my 1996. Please help! Thanks in advance.
John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the fan with the AC running as suggested, and the fan does spin very strong with the AC on. I'm thinking I might have a problem with the temp sensor or even the gauge itself, but I don't have a way to test that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts