Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 mustang v6 and while i was driving the "check engine" light came on. I went to advanced to have it checked and they told me it was bank 2 o2 sensor. On my way home from advanced i noticed the car getting really hot (not the engine but the cabin) so i stopped and turned the car off and noticed it was coming up through the parking brake area directly above the 02 sensor and driveshaft.

Could the 02 sensor cause this heating problem? Or could the heating have caused the 02 sensor to malfunction? The heat never happened before the check engine light came on. Also, I've noticed some "ping/clanging" noise coming from where the drive shaft connects to the transmission for a couple months now. Could this have caused something to happen? The trans fluid is fine, not leaking.

I asked a similar question yesterday and got some great answers, I'm hoping to get a few more good answers now that i've mentioned things i left out accidentaly yesterday. Thanks, all

·
Registered
38 Posts
Your catalytic convertor is overheating, the "ping" you have been hearing is the cat case popping from the heat. The failure of the cat will also cause a O2 failure code as the cat is no longer doing its job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts