Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I am not new to the mustang life however I have not had one in 5 years. I picked up a 97 mustang gt with the 5 speed transmission. The guy that I bought it from stated that it had the PI swap but it has the 97 valve covers..?? Also when shifting when it's cold it sounds like it's grinding, not in every gear though and he also told me that it had a new clutch in it.

I was going to jack it up and change the manual fluid myself. Which is the best stuff to use and how much? I doubt that it's been replaced.
It also has turn downs on it and I can't stand them. ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424372747.562396.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sorry for late reply I seen this at work earlier but didn't get the time to answer. I use royal purple syncromax. I'm running a tremec t56 so not sure what your fill level would be. On the PI head question, if it's a Windsor pi swap the passenger side will have the oil fill on it. I'm not certain on the Romeo pi heads though. Also look at the head casting number and look for a pi stamp at the end. Take a mirror and look down the sides of the heads for a pi. Also if you take a valve cover off you will see a pi stamp. As for the noise issue you would have to take a look at it. Could be syncro problem or various other problems. Changing fluild if you can't look at the trans yourself wouldn't be a bad idea especially that you just got it. Would be wise to change all fluids out. Good luck hopefully you have pi heads. Also how many bolts are in your valve covers. If it's a 13 bolt you defiantly have pi windsor block heads. Romeos have 11.

·
Premium Member
5,321 Posts
Hello Everyone, I am not new to the mustang life however I have not had one in 5 years. I picked up a 97 mustang gt with the 5 speed transmission. The guy that I bought it from stated that it had the PI swap but it has the 97 valve covers..?? Also when shifting when it's cold it sounds like it's grinding, not in every gear though and he also told me that it had a new clutch in it.

I was going to jack it up and change the manual fluid myself. Which is the best stuff to use and how much? I doubt that it's been replaced.
It also has turn downs on it and I can't stand them. View attachment 175725

3.2 quarts

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah my oil fill is on the driver side. I'll do my best to look around and see if I can find a pi stamp.

·
Premium Member
5,321 Posts
Yeah my oil fill is on the driver side. I'll do my best to look around and see if I can find a pi stamp.

A small rubber hose up through the shifter is a good way to fill it

·
Registered
284 Posts
A small rubber hose up through the shifter is a good way to fill it

He was talking about seeing if he had the pi heads or not. To op. Well you defiantly don't have windsor pi heads than so let's hope you got Romeo pi than. That sucks if dude lied to you and all. Well let's say he did I have a pair of used windsor pi heads I'd give you a deal on. You would want to put new guides and springs on it though but I'd cut you a deal bro If that what you'd want to do. Looks like you have yourself a Romeo block though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I'm looking at lowering it, I had originally planned to put new rims on it but woke up to two flat front tires so the only tire store that carried the tires I needed was $330 for two. A friend has a set of 2" lowering springs but they came off his 94 gt, so I don't know if that'd make a difference.

Once it stops snowing/raining I'll try to look and see if I can find a PI stamp

What are the difference between Windsor and Romeo heads?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've also encounter this issue a few times.
When sitting in traffic and car is in neutral, the light turns green and I press clutch to shift into first, as I let off of clutch it makes a sound kinda like a knocking sound but doesn't do it every time. Plus I have absolutely 0 play at the top of the clutch because I knew if you pulled the clutch to the top Itd reset it or something.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah I'm looking at lowering it, I had originally planned to put new rims on it but woke up to two flat front tires so the only tire store that carried the tires I needed was $330 for two. A friend has a set of 2" lowering springs but they came off his 94 gt, so I don't know if that'd make a difference.

Once it stops snowing/raining I'll try to look and see if I can find a PI stamp

What are the difference between Windsor and Romeo heads?

There are a few differences between the two but both have same flow characteristics. Windsor pi heads have 13 bolts and are 10mm, romeo pi heads have 11 bolt pattern and use 8mm bolts. Windsor cam sprockets are pressed on and romeos are bolt on. Their is also a slight difference in the cam journal caps also and The romeo heads have a girdle where the Windsor heads do not. Also I'm pretty sure if he did the swap and it was a Romeo block he could of used the same valve covers.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've also encounter this issue a few times.
When sitting in traffic and car is in neutral, the light turns green and I press clutch to shift into first, as I let off of clutch it makes a sound kinda like a knocking sound but doesn't do it every time. Plus I have absolutely 0 play at the top of the clutch because I knew if you pulled the clutch to the top Itd reset it or something.

If there is a aftermarket clutch in there it could just be clutch chatter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called the guy yesterday to ask him a few questions. He stated that the guy that he got the car from did the motor and clutch. He said that he took the motor from a crown vic/ grand marquis but I am starting to think that he is lying because none of it makes any sense.

Where exactly should I look for a pi stamp? Is there one on the intake too?

Yeah it's an aftermarket clutch

·
Registered
284 Posts
I called the guy yesterday to ask him a few questions. He stated that the guy that he got the car from did the motor and clutch. He said that he took the motor from a crown vic/ grand marquis but I am starting to think that he is lying because none of it makes any sense.

Where exactly should I look for a pi stamp? Is there one on the intake too?

Yeah it's an aftermarket clutch

A lot of people take motors from crown vics and put them in our cars. Look on the drivers side just above the headers with a mirror and look for a pi cast on the heads. It would be closer to the back bolts.You can angle a small mirror and sit it right on the headers and you should see a pi at the end or under the casting number. Only other way to tell is bolt pattern, take off intake manifold and look at the runners or take off valve cover. Looks for npi or pi stamp. The ports to runners on pi heads are square as to circular and tear drop shape on non pi heads. At this point I wouldn't believe a word the guy said.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Is this true?

Look at the intake, if it's still NPI then the heads are still NPI. On PI intakes the first crossover comes from the right like this:
ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424621629.531920.jpg
If so then I have a npi intake because mine starts off on the left

Yeah I'm right there with you

·
Registered
284 Posts
Is this true?

Look at the intake, if it's still NPI then the heads are still NPI. On PI intakes the first crossover comes from the right like this:
View attachment 175909

That is a Ford racing intake manifold. But yes that would be true but there has been people who swapped pi intake manifolds on npi heads. Its looking like you have npi heads. Bro look for the stamp takes two minutes. Better yet take pics with you phone and post them up. Also crown Vic motors may be different especially the police interceptor motors, I'm not sure but I think they had pi heads also but don't quote me on that.

·
Super Moderator
17,971 Posts
Is this true?

View attachment 175909

If your intake does not look like that then you have a npi, sorry. Trans... Its likely on the way out. 96-98 cars have transmissions with paper blocker rings that come apart around 90-100k miles and reverse issues too. Likely going to need a new trans.

Sorry to say it sounds like this dude bought a lemon and sold it off to you. Take a pic of your intake and post it here and we can tell you for sure. If it is the npi intake... I'd confront the guy but I doubt you'll get anything out of that besides knowing that he knows you know he's a lying scumbag.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Not sure where your from but michigan has a lemon law meaning if seller lied to you or major problems arise after car is bought within 15 days or so you could get your money back by law.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm in Mississippi
It's no biggie, I didn't pay that much for it. It's a decent car that just needs some work done to it. Only issue that I've had so far would be the flat tires.

I'll look at the motor here in a few

·
Super Moderator
17,971 Posts
FYI

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
My intake is the npi intake
I took these pictures, never saw any pi stamping. I took these on the driver side above the header.

ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424631664.338686.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424631682.004108.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424631703.472672.jpg

·
Super Moderator
17,971 Posts
I'd call the dude just for my own satisfaction honestly. He really might have believed the guy HE bought the car from... but that's no excuse to be an idiot.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts