Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have owned my 97 GT for over a year now and I've always wondered what the noise was coming from the rear end of the car when I turned the key into the "on" position. However, yesterday my car was running fine when I took my friend to run an errand. Before I left home, my car would not start, and that whining noise was not produced either. I have come to consensus that the whining noise was the fuel pump. Could it be possible that the fuel pump would go out on a simple drive? Or could it be something else? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Its the fuel pump you hear. If you don't hear it then its probably out.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Hey guys, I have owned my 97 GT for over a year now and I've always wondered what the noise was coming from the rear end of the car when I turned the key into the "on" position. However, yesterday my car was running fine when I took my friend to run an errand. Before I left home, my car would not start, and that whining noise was not produced either. I have come to consensus that the whining noise was the fuel pump. Could it be possible that the fuel pump would go out on a simple drive? Or could it be something else? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Hey Raymen,

The whine you hear from the rear is indeed the fuel pump.

If you have been hearing the whine more and more and then all of a sudden it goes out along with the car, you most likely lost your fuel pump which is not uncommon at all! The car is almost 20 years old after all.

Luckily, it should be an easy fix which is as simple as swapping the fuel pump.

I would definitely recommend having this diagnosed at a shop just in-case but I am fairly confident that you simply need to replace your fuel pump.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
There should be a fuel pump relay too. You should check that first before heading straight for replacing the pump. The one in my 88 GT went out and it was a cheap fix I could do easily myself.

IG: @azurebluemach

·
Registered
976 Posts
Is the fuel pump inside the tank or somewhere else??

The fuel pump is inside the tank. Its rather easy to get to these and replace if situation dictates. I my self had a code for low fuel pressure at the fuel lines today. So now I get to try and figure out why in this wonderful weather we are having lol.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Its definitely the fuel pump. I could always here mine whining on my 2000 GT. They can go out at any time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So now that I changed the fuel pump (this was the problem as to why my car didn't start), the whining noise went away. It isn't as dramatic

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the hardest part was to drop the tank. It was half way full... When it was off the car, we siphoned the gas as much as we could. Replacing the fuel pump was the easiest part. Took about 3-4 hours within two days because of short daylight hours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts