Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone. This is my first car, its a 1997 White V6 Convertible. I bought it about 2 months ago for a very good deal, she needs work but I have been doing a lot to it recently. The engine runs beautifully for her age. I made this thread to show the work that I've done and to ask for some advice on things. You're probably wondering why I would put so much time/work into this stang, well, because it's my first car, it's a very good learning experience, and it feels really good to finish a big project. Hopefully my work will pay off and I will have a cool/reliable car for years to come. Be aware that this thread is still under construction.

Work I've DONE so far:
(Not in specific order)
New spark plugs
Fixed passenger power mirror
Fixed driver's side power seat short
Replaced rear passenger brake caliper
Replaced steering wheel/column
Replaced all 4 speakers
Oil and oil filter change
Fixed taillights
Replaced door handles
Replaced rear brake line
Replaced gas filler tube grommet

Sounds like a money pit eh? Actually all of this was done relatively cheap. And all the work was done by me and my dad.

Work that NEEDS to be done:

Needs new convertible top (still deciding on color)
Needs new windshield wipers
Needs new tires (soon)
Needs some body work (will post some pics)
MAYBE strip and repaint rims
Fix rear speaker covers
Fix passenger side rocker panel crack (IN PROGRESS)
Fix A/C

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
id go ahead and remove the bottom rocker piece since you're missing part of it already..so far looking good and keep up the work

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see what you mean. I kinda want the rocker there though. Plus we already put fiberglass cloth and resin on it last night..

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
1slosix said:
id go ahead and remove the bottom rocker piece since you're missing part of it already..so far looking good and keep up the work
I was about to say the same thing. You're missing the side skirt. Other than that, it looks nice. Some black rims and blacked out lights would make it look awesome. Nice car though, and welcome, I'm sorta new here too. These guys give great advice

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually had blacked out lights, but I failed inspection because of them... I have the whole side skirt off because I'm repairing it, just to clarify. :) and yes, I was also thinking of getting the chrome stripped and then painting them black..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, since I can't edit the first post, I'll put an update here:

This is the rocker panel crack that we strengthened with fiberglass inside.
We still need to do the outside work.

Fiberglass cloth/resin behind the crack.

This is the worst of the body damage. I have no idea how this happened
because I bought it like this, but it's really ugly. Probably the worst part of the car.

Top of the windshield needs some work.

Gas tank cover and a small spot that needs work.

More updates coming soon!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Everything looked good, until you showed us the other side :( lol but it's a nice project car. The damage isn't too bad. You're lucky with the door, it can easily be sanded and painted. I have to replace my whole door :(

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
BrandonL said:
Yea, that's the downside :( But I guess I'm pretty lucky. I'll keep working hard, and hopefully she'll shine in the end! :D
Hey man one thing i would recommend is looking into replacing the fuel filter to i just did it on mine and it really needed it and its a good way to keep your fuel pump working cause i have to do the pump on my car because the fuel filter was never changed and it doesnt look fun

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey man one thing i would recommend is looking into replacing the fuel filter to i just did it on mine and it really needed it and its a good way to keep your fuel pump working cause i have to do the pump on my car because the fuel filter was never changed and it doesnt look fun
Yea,that's a good idea. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
BrandonL said:
Wow, we're pretty close then! Maybe we will! Dgerow12, sorry to say man, but I don't think we'll be running into each other anytime soon... LOL
Ur account wont allow me to pm you back and yea i work at that mall

·
Registered
502 Posts
Never know man. I'm planning a lot of road trips. And I meant just close to me lol everyone else is either down south or out west

1 - 20 of 22 Posts