Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to transplant the engine and rear of the f150 into my mustang. Now, the stock wiring harness can stay in because its basicly the same engine right? And did this year of f150 come with the 8.8 rear??

·
Registered
835 Posts
I re-used most of my old 3.8 parts on mine.
I used the block and the internals. Then I used the heads and intake off the 3.8 singleport.

The f150 probably did come with the 8.8 rearend, but its probably a different spline or whatever its called. there different and won't fit.(I may be wrong)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I re-used most of my old 3.8 parts on mine.
I used the block and the internals. Then I used the heads and intake off the 3.8 singleport.

The f150 probably did come with the 8.8 rearend, but its probably a different spline or whatever its called. there different and won't fit.(I may be wrong)
I could probably just put in the trucks trans if that's the case, but I'm pretty sure the 8.8 will fit with our t5s

How do you like the difference in engines??

·
Registered
835 Posts
The extra power is very noticeable.
I'm still using the stock rear end and everything.
Only thing that i've changed is
I straight piped exhaust, air silencer delete.
then i used the f150's cam when I did the 4.2 swap.

and if you have the whole truck you might want to try and swap the whole engine and keep the split port.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
99% sure the truck rear end is too wide...

As for the engine there is a swap thread sticky in this forum section

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
99% sure the truck rear end is too wide...

As for the engine there is a swap thread sticky in this forum section
I made sure I read the sticky first, it said the 3.8 wiring harness will work with the 4.2 because its the same firing order. I just didn't know if because it was a truck engine, that would be different. But the rear end being too wide kinda bums me out :/ guess I'll just pull that engine and get a rear from a grand marques or somethin

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I made sure I read the sticky first, it said the 3.8 wiring harness will work with the 4.2 because its the same firing order. I just didn't know if because it was a truck engine, that would be different. But the rear end being too wide kinda bums me out :/ guess I'll just pull that engine and get a rear from a grand marques or somethin
you can always check while you're there and see, pull off your wheels and measure from axle end to axle end, do the same on truck rear

Also I'm not sure how the truck suspension is set up, whether it's leaf springs or shocks which could mean it wouldn't have the proper brackets to allow you to use it.. Give it a good look over when you're there

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can always check while you're there and see, pull off your wheels and measure from axle end to axle end, do the same on truck rear

Also I'm not sure how the truck suspension is set up, whether it's leaf springs or shocks which could mean it wouldn't have the proper brackets to allow you to use it.. Give it a good look over when you're there
Yeah I'll definitely have to be meticulous with it so I'm 100% sure it fits before I buy it. Now since I plan on making over 300rwhp an aluminium driveshaft would be a stupid buy, correct?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Yeah I'll definitely have to be meticulous with it so I'm 100% sure it fits before I buy it. Now since I plan on making over 300rwhp an aluminium driveshaft would be a stupid buy, correct?
From what I've heard the ford aluminum ones are hit and miss, you can get a big name one but that'll cost a bit more

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what I've heard the ford aluminum ones are hit and miss, you can get a big name one but that'll cost a bit more
Well I'm doing a junk yard rebuild so I'm not into big name brands except for the suspension mods or the supersix stagelll package I'm investing in. I'm just trying to lighten the ol'girl up a free up a little extra horses.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Well I'm doing a junk yard rebuild so I'm not into big name brands except for the suspension mods or the supersix stagelll package I'm investing in. I'm just trying to lighten the ol'girl up a free up a little extra horses.
I've got some links on a junkyard aluminum driveshaft swap from a freestar (or Aerostar, forget which) suppose to be heavy duty and a little lighter, I'll post them up when I get back to a computer

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got some links on a junkyard aluminum driveshaft swap from a freestar (or Aerostar, forget which) suppose to be heavy duty and a little lighter, I'll post them up when I get back to a computer
Thank you! I'd very much appreciate that. My goal is 3200lbs with me in it and 335rwhp w/o a turbo or sc. I wanna try to do this for around $5000.. including suspension and aesthetic mods.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Thank you! I'd very much appreciate that. My goal is 3200lbs with me in it and 335rwhp w/o a turbo or sc. I wanna try to do this for around $5000.. including suspension and aesthetic mods.
Weight is doable, mines around 3100 without me right now, assuming you weigh 180, it'll take a lot of gutting of the car or tubular suspension up front to drop down the weight

And that means you'll need nitrous lol the N/A record is 278rwhp.. And you won't reach that for 5K

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Weight is doable, mines around 3100 without me right now, assuming you weigh 180, it'll take a lot of gutting of the car or tubular suspension up front to drop down the weight

And that means you'll need nitrous lol the N/A record is 278rwhp.. And you won't reach that for 5K
I'm 210 but I'm taking up boxing classes to get toned back up. I was thinking with the 4.2 swap (210hp), stagelll power pack (65hp), tune (15hp), bigger injectiors/fuel pump/fuel lines, then the exhaust setup I have... I should at least have 280hp to the ground

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I'm 210 but I'm taking up boxing classes to get toned back up. I was thinking with the 4.2 swap (210hp), stagelll power pack (65hp), tune (15hp), bigger injectiors/fuel pump/fuel lines, then the exhaust setup I have... I should at least have 280hp to the ground
202hp is fords rating for 4.2 splitport at motor

You can't count a tune like that when considering motor work, his "estimated gains" are considering a car in perfect running conditions with his parts and that means tuned..

Assuming you're staying single port you'll be lucky to get 240rwhp N/A, their heads flow a lot less than splitports making all motor projects not so large on the power scale

Not trying to crush your dreams, just being realistic

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
202hp is fords rating for 4.2 splitport at motor

You can't count a tune like that when considering motor work, his "estimated gains" are considering a car in perfect running conditions with his parts and that means tuned..

Assuming you're staying single port you'll be lucky to get 240rwhp N/A, their heads flow a lot less than splitports making all motor projects not so large on the power scale

Not trying to crush your dreams, just being realistic
I'm changing to split port to get that +40hp gain.I have nothing wrong with being realistic, that's what I'm on this forum for. Plus I'm completely rebuilding the 4.2 and rear that I put in, then the powerpac (heads, upper/lower intake, and cam) is estimated 65 bolt on hp...

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
doesn't GTeater on MM still run the highest n/a record David? at least that's the only guy i know of pushing 270+ wrhp without a power adder in a split port. is that who you're talking about?

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I'm changing to split port to get that +40hp gain.I have nothing wrong with being realistic, that's what I'm on this forum for. Plus I'm completely rebuilding the 4.2 and rear that I put in, then the powerpac (heads, upper/lower intake, and cam) is estimated 65 bolt on hp...
if David is talking about who i think he is you might wanna listen to him on this. your goal just isn't realistic on an N/A build. take it from people that have been working on these cars for years. However i will say you will have a pretty quick 14 second car when you're done :good:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
no yentzer at ssm holds the record at 278 SAE last I heard

also consider this.. i have stage three heads on my car with a comp cam and better intake setup than they have listed, i make 242 sae whp.. drivetrain losses suck but she sure moves!

and no he'll have a 13 second car :p

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
if David is talking about who i think he is you might wanna listen to him on this. your goal just isn't realistic on an N/A build. take it from people that have been working on these cars for years. However i will say you will have a pretty quick 14 second car when you're done :good:
I mean, I've been working on Ford's for 10 years so I'm not a novice like a lot of the owners on here. I guess I'll just have to beat this guys record to solidify my v6s dominance :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts