Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!!

Okay so getting ready to do the PI Head Swap on my 1998 Mustang GT Convertible. I found various options for kits online that come with all of the parts I need to do it but labor is insanely expensive. I'm just wanting to know what all is involved in a self install. The only things is done by myself is installing my shifter, K&N Cold Air intake, stereo and steering wheel, rear seat delete kit and all that jazz. As long as I have step by step instructions I am comfortable doing it myself and I haven't checked yet by I did pick up a Hayes repair manual. I'm basically looking for advice from you all. Anything would be helpful. The engine doesn't have to come out as far as I know and I seems simple I'm just wondering how precise certain things have to be. Also wanna know about porting the heads at a machine shop. I would also love to get some links to chrome valve covers. I look forward to all of the replies!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I am Right there with ya. Im about to do the same thing! Im interested to see where this goes. Hopefully someone can explain. Maybe sticky it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am Right there with ya. Im about to do the same thing! Im interested to see where this goes. Hopefully someone can explain. Maybe sticky it?
I hope so I mean I've gotta some awesome info by myself I could send ya. I thought about changing the cams but it seems to become a nightmare in price and not worth the 20+ rwhp you get....

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Porting the pi heads will be worth it while u have the heads out still. As for the install its quite easy. Nothing hard about it but refer to the repair manual for help. Timing will be about the biggest step to get right besides head bolt torque. When you go into it besides pi heads maje sure u have pi intake manifold and the gaskets for it. Best bet get a head gasket kit for a 99-04 stang since they have pi heads and mani it will come with everything. Another issue will be the crank pulley. If u dont have a powered impact gun can be quite difficult unless u lock the flywheel in place. Any questions feel free to ask them here as to you will get alot of help from this forum and its members.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

I made the mistakes in not porting mine a long time ago but i have another set so ill take advantage then

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am in the process of getting together all the parts to do this myself. In the spring when it warms up I will begin. My brother is a mechanic and will be helping. Good luck man, keep us posted.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Porting the pi heads will be worth it while u have the heads out still. As for the install its quite easy. Nothing hard about it but refer to the repair manual for help. Timing will be about the biggest step to get right besides head bolt torque. When you go into it besides pi heads maje sure u have pi intake manifold and the gaskets for it. Best bet get a head gasket kit for a 99-04 stang since they have pi heads and mani it will come with everything. Another issue will be the crank pulley. If u dont have a powered impact gun can be quite difficult unless u lock the flywheel in place. Any questions feel free to ask them here as to you will get alot of help from this forum and its members.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

I made the mistakes in not porting mine a long time ago but i have another set so ill take advantage then
I looked over everything in the Hayes repair manual and holy crap that's alot of work. I'm not so sure about being able to do it myself anymore. I'm honestly worried I won't do something right and the aftermath being more expensive than having just paid someone else to do it in the meantime. What does porting the heads do and how much extra horsepower will it give me?

Could anyone post recommendations on valve covers with links to buy them?? Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Porting heads makes your motor breathe more. Makes more power with the more mods added on. Check summit racing american muscle and steeda for balve covers. Leathal motorsports and stage 3 should also have some.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chrome p.i. valve covers are hard to find and expensive
Dude I've come this far lol

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Porting heads makes your motor breathe more. Makes more power with the more mods added on. Check summit racing american muscle and steeda for balve covers. Leathal motorsports and stage 3 should also have some.
I forgot about Lethal I will check there too thanks!!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
do yourself a favor, upgrade the valves so it can hold atleast stage 2 cams for a later installation. that way you get alot of the things that you would have to do in the head out of the way for future growth on the power.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
do yourself a favor, upgrade the valves so it can hold atleast stage 2 cams for a later installation. that way you get alot of the things that you would have to do in the head out of the way for future growth on the power.
Actually yah I did look into cams but the extra 20+ horsepower didn't seem worth the extra $1,000. What type of cams would/should I get? If I'm gonna do it then its now or never.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Really depends on the flow of the heads and the tune man. Without a tune maybe 30hp

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Which is very noticeable

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Really depends on the flow of the heads and the tune man. Without a tune maybe 30hp

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Which is very noticeable
What all would I have to change? Would I be able to install the cams myself? The heads will be coming in the mail fully assembled.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts