Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would I go about swapping a 1999 3.8 v6 with a 302 pushrod V8. I have the block, just need a 'how to' on wiring, plumbing and how it would proceed. I guess what I am asking is for a detailed step by step on how to do so. Thanks

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
i'd have a place do it...but if you have engine crane + garage + a ton of tools and money + dont mind not having you car for a long time... I would definately find someone who really knows what their doing to help you. I can't help as far as a how-to though.
Good Luck

·
Registered
567 Posts
too much to make it worth it. A modular swap is a smarter idea.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
stangin99 said:
too much to make it worth it. A modular swap is a smarter idea.
I agree with stangin99 If you want to do a swap with a 5.0 into a 99 you will need donor car because you will need the engine, cross member, complete wire harnesses, computer, gauges. It is much easier to swap a 5.0 into a 94-95. I would swap in a 4.6 or a 5.4.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
you may also consider dropping a 4.2 v-6 in.... also very easy... :)... and powerful

·
Registered
70 Posts
Danger Dude said:
I agree with stangin99 If you want to do a swap with a 5.0 into a 99 you will need donor car because you will need the engine, cross member, complete wire harnesses, computer, gauges. It is much easier to swap a 5.0 into a 94-95. I would swap in a 4.6 or a 5.4.
Same here. That's a lot of headache trying to do that swap. You can find a lot of places who sell complete 4.6 engines for a reasonable price. There's one place in particular, but I can't think of the name. It's outside of Atlanta. They sell used 4.6 engines and even '03-'04 Cobra engines

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
spadez81 said:
Same here. That's a lot of headache trying to do that swap. You can find a lot of places who sell complete 4.6 engines for a reasonable price. There's one place in particular, but I can't think of the name. It's outside of Atlanta. They sell used 4.6 engines and even '03-'04 Cobra engines

You are talking about http://www.stangparts.com

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
for the money you wont be able to beat a 5.0 swap if you build the motor that is... its not easy and at times you will wish you had never thought of it but it can be done... just takes alot of time and efford and money and money (money twice cuz it takes more of it than anything)

if you dont feel like your up to it sell the car and buy a 5.0 in the end you will save quite a bit just doing that.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
MPS (stangparts.com) is expensive as hell though! They wanted over $2k for a complete 5.0, a t5, wiring, and computer with over 100k miles on the clock.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Stangparts has a how to on their website to do a swap in for a 5.0L into a V6 stang, I think it was an older model but you should be able to get some ideas. You will most likely need a 5.0L computer for sure, and a lot of other stuff the donor car thing would be the only way to do and don't even think of hiring someone to do it, that would take a good bankroll. As someone else said, selling the 99 and buying an older stang, fox body or 94-95 would be a better way to go. Then the 5.0 in a GT is already there. :D

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
SpectorV said:
for the money you wont be able to beat a 5.0 swap if you build the motor that is... its not easy and at times you will wish you had never thought of it but it can be done... just takes alot of time and efford and money and money (money twice cuz it takes more of it than anything)

if you dont feel like your up to it sell the car and buy a 5.0 in the end you will save quite a bit just doing that.
efford??

·
Registered
583 Posts
Danger Dude said:
actually a modular swap would be harder, the only reason you'd want to swap engines in that late model of a car would be to go to pushrod for some reason, the mod's are great motors though, and it'll be much much cheaper to sell your car and buy a v8 than it would be to swap.

oh btw, you won't need a cross member.. you will need everything else he listed plus trans housing, and well I won't get into that
its a pain, I did a 4 cyclinder to v8 swap but I did it because I wanted to learn, it ended up costing me just as much as I had bought a v8 to begin with and I had lots of time in it, DEFINETLY A COOL PROJECT THOUGH! :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
silverstangboy said:
actually a modular swap would be harder, the only reason you'd want to swap engines in that late model of a car would be to go to pushrod for some reason, the mod's are great motors though, and it'll be much much cheaper to sell your car and buy a v8 than it would be to swap.

oh btw, you won't need a cross member.. you will need everything else he listed plus trans housing, and well I won't get into that
its a pain, I did a 4 cyclinder to v8 swap but I did it because I wanted to learn, it ended up costing me just as much as I had bought a v8 to begin with and I had lots of time in it, DEFINETLY A COOL PROJECT THOUGH! :)
no, a modular swap would be a lot easier. The 4.6 motors use the same k-members as our 99+ 3.8s and already the fuel lines as well as the basic electrical done.

Swapping to a pushrod you have to convert to a return style fuel system, put in an older computer and then splice all the wiring in, among many other PITA changes.

A modular swap is a hell of a lot easier.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Computer? wiring?

How about a carb and a regular electronic distributor? Make swapping a 5.0 into a 99 stang easier. No need to worry about EFI with the 5.0 swap, since it won't be smog legal anyway.

Steve

·
Registered
39 Posts
OK I guess i will be the best help for you since there are so many NAY SAYERS here. It is extremely EASY to do a 5.0 swap into a 99+ sixcer stang. As you can tell from my name i Have a 2000 mustang that was born a V6 but now is a 5.0 HO. All you have to do is buy an 89 stang with a 5.0 Get the 89 because its probably the best 5.0 motor ever made it is also the first one to come with the mass air flow sensor oh also if you go by stock hp readings the 89 has the highest. OK so back to what i was saying buy a wrecked ugly 89 5.0 take everything out of the 5.0 and swap it into the 99+ stang. Take everything....again thats everything Take the ecu wiring harness even swap your fuse boxes for the 5.0 fuse boxes...I hate seeing people trying to make you change your mind about the swap when in truth it will take you one weekend to get the job done. Good game, No re NOOOOOOBS!. Yea but im right its cake to do because like i said i have mine done. So instead of listening to people try to convince you its hard and blah blah blah listen to me because ive done it and they haven't

·
Registered
298 Posts
Mustangs & Fast Fords magazine had a write-up about a 3.8 to 5.0 swap,but they listed the swap for a 94-98 Mustang.I thought the 94-04 had the same body style or is there something different(i.e.-kmember,etc) between the 94-98 & 99-04 models,that would prevent this swap from being done??Im asking for my own personal knowledge as well as, why Mustangs & Fast Fords magazine only shows the swap listed for the 94-98 models instead of the 94-04 models??I'll post the link below that I'm referring to.

Converting a V-6 Mustang to V-8 Power - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

·
Registered
2 Posts
;)

OK I guess i will be the best help for you since there are so many NAY SAYERS here. It is extremely EASY to do a 5.0 swap into a 99+ sixcer stang. As you can tell from my name i Have a 2000 mustang that was born a V6 but now is a 5.0 HO. All you have to do is buy an 89 stang with a 5.0 Get the 89 because its probably the best 5.0 motor ever made it is also the first one to come with the mass air flow sensor oh also if you go by stock hp readings the 89 has the highest. OK so back to what i was saying buy a wrecked ugly 89 5.0 take everything out of the 5.0 and swap it into the 99+ stang. Take everything....again thats everything Take the ecu wiring harness even swap your fuse boxes for the 5.0 fuse boxes...I hate seeing people trying to make you change your mind about the swap when in truth it will take you one weekend to get the job done. Good game, No re NOOOOOOBS!. Yea but im right its cake to do because like i said i have mine done. So instead of listening to people try to convince you its hard and blah blah blah listen to me because ive done it and they haven't
Hey man any way you can give me some info about an upcoming swap im working on?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts