Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i am from up state ny and have a 99 3.8 i have a mac cai, and 2-1/2 inch pipes from the manifold back. i cut out the cats and put on flow master 40's. i have perchesed 3.73 gears but have no idea how to insall them. can some one give me a how to on the gear install. any other recomendations on good mods would be great. also have 90% of a cobra irs for my car, would like to find the rest, remeber i am on a budget us cops dont get paid well. [email protected]

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Unless you are a experienced Mechanic and have all the necessary tools such as Dial Micrometers and the knowledge to do it or have someone there who has done it and can help you. I suggest you go to a shop specializes in Rearend work. I have 20 plus years as a mechanic and I am not about to slide under my car and try to install rear end gears with limited space whne I can take it to a shop and have it done in a few hours by professionals. Now dont get me wrong I am a big advocate of do-it-yourself but in this case you are much better off having someone to do it.

you are also going to either need a chip or a speed cal to correct your speed. The computer controls your speedo and there is no way around it.

If you really are going to try to install the gears yourself you will need a good maintenance manual for your car

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
im gonna have to go with corey on this, id take it to a shop that knows what they are doing, while your at it id get a tlok too so both your wheels spin :), then finally get a chip to make your speedo not read wacky.

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
a tlok, or traction-lock. It's easiest just to get new gears at the same time this is installed, so you don't have to pay the labor on it 2x, if you plan on getting gears.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
TLok or what people called limited slip or posi track differential depending the make of the car. it installs in the rear end. YOu dont want to lock completely you need some slip for turning or you will be draging your tire at every turn

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
if you dont know what your doing get a pro to install. i remember when i did my first gear install, those mothere ****ers whined so much it was horrible but im better at it now :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks man i have a 00 3.8 and yea that one wheel kinda pisses me off you know burns out perfect but yea one wheel, so i could get those items and both wheels would spin? you know around how much that would cost you know for the parts and labor or you know an estimate?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
engine mods

ok so how much am i looking at to get the gears installed. i am also wondering what engine mods you recomend

1 - 10 of 10 Posts