Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02 Mustang GT 75K miles, real clean. I think I can get it for $4,500 (6K Canadian) What do you guys think? I have always loved the look of this gen Mustang and I love how it is pretty fast stock and I wouldn't have to do much to it. Are parts still easy to get? And how is the reliabilty? Just want something to get to and from school. Any advice would be great!

·
Premium Member
5,321 Posts
Well fast is obviously different for different people. They are snails in my opinion but over all a decent car,

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
It's a decent car. Good price. Plenty of aftermarket support. Are you in Alabama or Canada?? Not too good in the snow. That's why I'm asking.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I've got a '04 GT with Just Under 180,000 and It Still runs strong!.. But that mostly has to do with routine maintenance!.. Take care of it and it'll last forever!.. As for parts, check out American Muscle, CJ Pony Parts, Steeda, and Mustangs Unlimited!.. There is literally Tons of parts out there for these cars!..

Sent from the One and Only ME!..?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Where are you from in canada? One thing to check is under the car for any rust. Salted roads here just eat these cars. Other then that parts support is awesome and the cars are pretty alright. Pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Where are you from in canada? One thing to check is under the car for any rust. Salted roads here just eat these cars. Other then that parts support is awesome and the cars are pretty alright. Pics!

I'm ASSUMING he's from Alberta, which is where Canada's winter begins haha

VRE outbreaks (wash your hands)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm ASSUMING he's from Alberta, which is where Canada's winter begins haha

VRE outbreaks (wash your hands)
Haha yes in alberta you are right. The car is from a dealer I will ask for them to send me a pic of the bottom of the car. Good tip thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
If I remember correctly some of those engines had trouble with the steel spark plugs in aluminum heads. You many want to check into that before buying that car. It's possible that with 75K miles on it the plugs have never been replaced and may need changed. I would request the dealer put new plugs in before you buy the car and then you can sue his *** if he screws it up and they start popping out of the heads as they have been known to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I remember correctly some of those engines had trouble with the steel spark plugs in aluminum heads. You many want to check into that before buying that car. It's possible that with 75K miles on it the plugs have never been replaced and may need changed. I would request the dealer put new plugs in before you buy the car and then you can sue his *** if he screws it up and they start popping out of the heads as they have been known to do.
How widespread of a problem is this? I read about it happening up mostly on trucks. What if the plugs have not been replaced, what the cost if it the plugs end up going one day?

·
Registered
172 Posts
In 04 they updated the head to include 8 threads instead of 4 if I remember correctly

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am not an expert on this problem just remember reading something about it on this forum. I did search this forum and found that the 2005 through 2008 4.6L engines had 2-piece spark plugs that were a problem removing. The 2002 engine may have been one produced before the problem occurred but I wish someone else would chime in with experience with the 2002 engines. The engine in the car you are looking at may not share in this problem, but per your request for advice I'm saying you should ensure that this is not one of those engines.

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
I am not an expert on this problem just remember reading something about it on this forum. I did search this forum and found that the 2005 through 2008 4.6L engines had 2-piece spark plugs that were a problem removing. The 2002 engine may have been one produced before the problem occurred but I wish someone else would chime in with experience with the 2002 engines. The engine in the car you are looking at may not share in this problem, but per your request for advice I'm saying you should ensure that this is not one of those engines.
The two piece spark plugs were used in the 3V engines, the 2Vs have issues with blowing the plug out of the head of they are over torqued.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Yeah, a common issue with the 4 threads on the 99-03. You see them over torqued all the time, and as a result some fun blowouts. Wouldn't hurt to pull the plugs and look for any clues of a previous blowout.

As stated earlier it might not be a bad idea to try and have the dealer change the plugs. Though even then an as-is sale is still going to mean its not thier problem if it does pop a plug.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
484 Posts
if the streets are wet, take it easy on the throttle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts