Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard on Top Gear that the mustang will arrive in the U.K. for 2015 with the 2.0 L eco boost engine only. I'm not sure what that means for North America. But I'm sure the engine choices will be the same. I'm certain the 5.0L is staying. But sounds like 3.7 is on its way out.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Idk, the 3.7 is pretty popular stateside and there are some Lincon cars rocking it now. Personally I have no issue with the 6 or the Eco Boost as base and the other as a step up and the 5.0 as the GT or Cobra.. Kinda shake things up a bit.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Wonder what the new shealby is gonna have in it

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it's hard to say what country's are gonna get which choices. I can't see ford offering more than two, maybe three engine choices though. I'm looking forward to the Eco boost engine line up.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Yeah it's hard to say what country's are gonna get which choices. I can't see ford offering more than two, maybe three engine choices though. I'm looking forward to the Eco boost engine line up.
++^^ Me too.. Love the winds of change!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I hope Ford don't do this!.. Chevy just released that they will offer a TT V6 as their base Camaro. Base Mustang needs to be at least the Eco Boost V6 then.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
I hope Ford don't do this!.. Chevy just released that they will offer a TT V6 as their base Camaro. Base Mustang needs to be at least the Eco Boost V6 then.
If that's what the Bow Tie is doing, then I think Ford will do something to keep pace.. No worries!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If that's what the Bow Tie is doing, then I think Ford will do something to keep pace.. No worries!
I hope so. Power out put from Chevy is just at 355hp, Fords Eco V6 in the SHO is 365hp+. But the real question is, will Ford put such a powerhouse V6 in the Mustang and still keep the 5.0?.. Or will they up the power in that too?..

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've been kind of thinking that the new Cobra/Shelby will have the TT 5.0 that's in the new Cobra Jet. If you look back at the last couple of Cobra Jet's they've all pretty much been the test bed for the next Shelby powertrain. I also heard that the test mule for the 2015 has a considerably smaller engine bay than the current Mustang, so the 5.8 with a blower on top will most likely not fit between the fenders. I think this also kind of points towards the new SVT project as utilizing the TT 5.0 since it will be considerably smaller (sort of haha.) Just my conspiracy theories though...

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
I've been kind of thinking that the new Cobra/Shelby will have the TT 5.0 that's in the new Cobra Jet. If you look back at the last couple of Cobra Jet's they've all pretty much been the test bed for the next Shelby powertrain. I also heard that the test mule for the 2015 has a considerably smaller engine bay than the current Mustang, so the 5.8 with a blower on top will most likely not fit between the fenders. I think this also kind of points towards the new SVT project as utilizing the TT 5.0 since it will be considerably smaller (sort of haha.) Just my conspiracy theories though...
Doubt seriously the 5.8 and 5.0 engines differ much at all size wise, and if the engine is small enough that said size diff does matter then there won't be room for the 5.0 and TT's.. I'd love to see a TT SVT car but highly doubt that will happen..

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

I hope so. Power out put from Chevy is just at 355hp, Fords Eco V6 in the SHO is 365hp+. But the real question is, will Ford put such a powerhouse V6 in the Mustang and still keep the 5.0?.. Or will they up the power in that too?..
I would think so, your still looking at a 60hp improvement roughly, and with the weight of the car trimming down some that HP # on the 6 won't have to be that high to get the same results..

But who knows guys, haven't been this excited about a car I don't plan on buying in awhile lol

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Doubt seriously the 5.8 and 5.0 engines differ much at all size wise, and if the engine is small enough that said size diff does matter then there won't be room for the 5.0 and TT's.. I'd love to see a TT SVT car but highly doubt that will happen..

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

I would think so, your still looking at a 60hp improvement roughly, and with the weight of the car trimming down some that HP # on the 6 won't have to be that high to get the same results..

But who knows guys, haven't been this excited about a car I don't plan on buying in awhile lol
+11

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I to think the next shelby will be turbo charged. The cobra jet already uses the turbos off of the focus st Eco boost. Either way it's very exciting.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
My theory is a v6 ecoboost with maybe 325hp but dumbed down a bit as far as the motor goes so it uses less fuel and then the 5.0 will get a power bump as well and the new SVT/Shelby will have a twin turbo 5.0 but doubt it'll have as much as the current 5.8 SC'd does just cause that much power won't be needed with the new more nimble and lighter chassis...just my thoughts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
My theory is a v6 ecoboost with maybe 325hp but dumbed down a bit as far as the motor goes so it uses less fuel and then the 5.0 will get a power bump as well and the new SVT/Shelby will have a twin turbo 5.0 but doubt it'll have as much as the current 5.8 SC'd does just cause that much power won't be needed with the new more nimble and lighter chassis...just my thoughts
V6 EcoBoost with 325? The current 3.5 SHO makes 365? The 3.7 makes 305. So they'll add EcoBoost for 20hp and have it make less power then the current EcoBoost six makes? Also, just because they're making the car lighter they'll decrease the power throughout? Not sure that makes any sense at all...

But I wouldn't mind a EcoBoost 4 just not by sacrificing the 3.7. The 3.7 is a great engine. Makes great power, great mpg's, and sounds better then any V6 I've heard besides a GTR.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
V6 EcoBoost with 325? The current 3.5 SHO makes 365? The 3.7 makes 305. So they'll add EcoBoost for 20hp and have it make less power then the current EcoBoost six makes? Also, just because they're making the car lighter they'll decrease the power throughout? Not sure that makes any sense at all...

But I wouldn't mind a EcoBoost 4 just not by sacrificing the 3.7. The 3.7 is a great engine. Makes great power, great mpg's, and sounds better then any V6 I've heard besides a GTR.
Yeah with less weight you need less power which saves fuel so yeah they won't need that much power and they'll save fuel, so yeah it does make sense

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

And they don't wana give the v6 400hp and the GT have 420 cause that's too encroaching on the v8 territory

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
My theory as to what needs to be done!.. No Eco Boost 4!!! Have the Eco V6 as the base model with 365hp, do away with the BOSS Mustang (I know that sounds bad but we all need that motor)!.. And put the BOSS Motor into the GT, bump output to 450+ HP and torque to over 410!.. Keep the SC 5.8 motor, as that is the top gun in the Mustang lineup!.. And ya, convert all motors over to Direct Injection. That will improve performance and mpg's!...

1 - 20 of 126 Posts