Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a turbo conversion with the stock t3 tranny?

I have an 86 that I am doing a turbo 4 cylinder for, I have had a few people give me grief about not changing it to a 5 speed manual.

What is everyone else's thoughts? Am I setting myself up for failure?

Currently- 1986 2.3L lx notchback, conversion to SVO 2.3L turbo automatic notchback.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Haha. C3. Autocorrect strikes again.

I do have a Garrett t3 turbo for my car though.

Currently- 1986 2.3L lx notchback, conversion to SVO 2.3L turbo automatic notchback.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i personally would not build around that trans your best bet would be a t5...the teans you speak of does not hold up that well to power

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i personally would not build around that trans your best bet would be a t5...the teans you speak of does not hold up that well to power

I decided to stay with the c3 for a few reasons. First, switching over is a pain in the @$$. With installing all kinds of stuff, blah blah blah. Not to mention it would set me back another few g's I don't have. My second reason. Burn outs. Nuff said. My third reason is I don't like the lag that human error can create on the strip. I prefer my shifting timed perfect and precise. every time. :)

The turbo is the last thing being done to the build. It will be back running the stock 4 cyl. Auto 3spd. Until I can have certain things done to the other tranny, bottom, and new head. So that it can withstand the power.

·
Registered
39 Posts
could always look into doing an aod or a 4r70w i saw somewhere where somebody did it.. those hold up well... i guess as long you beefed up the c3 it should hold up to what you throw to it...fingers crossed

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I've learned I'm thinking about having the flywheel and such ceramiced and installing a high stall torque converter so I can build boost.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Just a word of caution with the C3, it won't hold up to the torque the 2.3l turbo will dish out for long, and trying to beef it up is going to be hard because of a lack of performance parts.
Personally I'd go with an early C4, it's small, lightweight and will stand up to drag racing day in and day out..............plus they are cheap to build.
Back in the early 90's I had an 88 Turbo Coupe and the motor had massaged by Esslinger Engineering with a lot of head work. On the engine dyno it was close to 340hp at the crank..........and it was a really fun car on the road.........to heavy for drag racing.
As for drag racing you are correct, an automatic is the way to go if you want consistency. I used a Mike's Transmission Ultra-Glide behind my SBF.......it was consistently 9.801 to 9.825...without electronics as I'm old school.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts