Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the situation. I want awesome MPG for my 13' V6 (hopefully average 25+ if not more. I have a light foot), but I also want to get this car in the low 5's for 0-60 (tune, CAI, maybe a little more) but I've heard the 2:73 gears are pathetic? Are they really that bad? I've heard 3:55 are good, but I think I lose too much mileage going that high of a ratio. The Performance Package offers the 3:31 though!

Question 1- What's the difference you guys see or know of in 2:73 VS 3:31 MPG wise?

Question 2- What's the difference you guys see or know of in 2:73 VS 3:31 regarding 0-60 times?

Long story short- I want awesome MPG's when I'm just driving around (I do probably more city then highway, but it's more open city driving with stop lights every now and then), but at the same time when I want to have fun I want my pony to get me moving quickly!

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you are going to change gears id say 3.55, 3.23 are not the best with 3.55 youll get a good mpg on highway if you dont speed too much and might actually see an increase in the city from what ived heard from others.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
So here's the situation. I want awesome MPG for my 13' V6 (hopefully average 25+ if not more. I have a light foot), but I also want to get this car in the low 5's for 0-60 (tune, CAI, maybe a little more) but I've heard the 2:73 gears are pathetic? Are they really that bad? I've heard 3:55 are good, but I think I lose too much mileage going that high of a ratio. The Performance Package offers the 3:31 though!

Question 1- What's the difference you guys see or know of in 2:73 VS 3:31 MPG wise?

Question 2- What's the difference you guys see or know of in 2:73 VS 3:31 regarding 0-60 times?

Long story short- I want awesome MPG's when I'm just driving around (I do probably more city then highway, but it's more open city driving with stop lights every now and then), but at the same time when I want to have fun I want my pony to get me moving quickly!
Based upon your wants to get 25 plus miles per gallon and rocket 0-60 in approximately the low 5 second range, you should get 3:55 or 3:31 gears. I currently have the 2:73 gears and they are weak down low when punching it at a dead stop. I hear having the 3:31 gears are a big difference over the 2:73 when it comes to its acceleration, however I don't know how much less mpg with 3:31 gears compared to 2:73 gears. It also depends how you will drive your car. I was getting around 29 MPG highway and non highway prior to my performance tuner. Post tuner, I'm now getting around 26 MPG and with 2.73 gears because the car is so much fun to drive. I can't keep my foot light. That's the darn problem with our new V6's they are so much fun to drive. They have such good power stock, then throw in a set of 3:55 or 3:73 gears, performance tuner, CAI and the V6 is a mini beast. Its hard to get great MPG when you want to drive it like you stole it. Lol. I love hearing the engine and exhaust roar when full open throttle. The sound is intoxicating, at least to me it is.

I personally wouldn't go any lower than 3:55 and now leaning towards 3:73 gears which may be perfect for non track, street use. I only go around 8k miles per year so Max MPG's are not a concern of mine. For your wants I would go with 3:55 for your situation. I think you will be able to achieve the 25 MPG you want and the 0-60 times.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
have 3.31 as stock, all part of the perf package. drove both before ordering. the 3.31 takes off better and still gives me 25-27 around town minus the a/c. only use that when its bloody raining here at the beach :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've read that there's not much difference in mpg between 3.55-3.73. I plan on jumping from 2.73 to 3.73 very shortly!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Getting my 3.73's installed on Monday. From what I understand the mpg isn't going to hurt that bad. I figured may as well get what I really want instead of settling for something less.

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
have 3.31 as stock, all part of the perf package. drove both before ordering. the 3.31 takes off better and still gives me 25-27 around town minus the a/c. only use that when its bloody raining here at the beach :)
X2. I have the same setup in gearing (3:31), and the mileage with them gets me an honest 27 to 28 on the highway if I keep it set at 75 MPH or below (right at the 2K RPM range). The response is very snappy when I get on it. Plenty good for my requirements. I drive an average of 600 to 700 miles a week, so MPG is a first thought. The 3:31 are a good all around choice for my driving requirements. I'll guess that's why Ford offers so many rear gear choices.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
X2. I have the same setup in gearing (3:31), and the mileage with them gets me an honest 27 to 28 on the highway if I keep it set at 75 MPH or below (right at the 2K RPM range). The response is very snappy when I get on it. Plenty good for my requirements. I drive an average of 600 to 700 miles a week, so MPG is a first thought. The 3:31 are a good all around choice for my driving requirements. I'll guess that's why Ford offers so many rear gear choices.
Are you stock beyond that? Or do you have any CAI or tune?

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I'd personally go with the 3.55. It's not a full on race car, yet its not the wimps of 2.73's. I have the 2.73. They are alright. I pre load if I want to have fun. But just punching from idle, well it just sucks. I average 29-30 at 75 mph. Also like my v6 for the power and fuel efficiently.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Like stated earlier, 3.55 is a well rounded gear. I'ma mid range person anyway. Not too flashy, yet not the base. Thus my premium package :)

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Door jam sticker decoded

Look on your door jam at the sticker. Look at what axle code you have and then see which letters are on this decoder. Now you have your factory axle ratio,

2011 & 2012

The axle ratios are:
BB - 3.73 ratio, base vehicle with manual or automatic transmission
CC - 2.73 ratio
DD - 3.55 ratio with manual transmission
GG - 3.31 ratio with automatic transmission
YY - 3.15 ratio

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Just to bring this back to life. What are the 3.31 guys pulling rpm wise at 75? I have 2.73 but love my mpg. I have enough top end but want the mpg of the 2.73. I pull 1,700 at 75 with cruise. I'm adding an intake and tune, and when they finally develop them, shorty headers and an axle back. I'm in an auto so will I feel anything?

Also, do you 3.31 guys have any weird acceleration as to the subjective 2.73's having a stalling feeling?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
yep..., close to same rpm range when in 6th

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I am going to have to check, but it seems to me between 2000 and 2100 at 75 with my 3.31's and Manual trans.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts