Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had a misfire code and I was pretty sure it was the plugs since they were OEM at 81k.

I bought the silver can of WD40 penetrant, soaked all the plugs overnight.

Used a 9/16 socket and a magnet. Didn't see the need to buy the 9/16 plug socket having the magnet. I used a 18 inch breaker bar and I didn't pull it in one tug. Rather kept palm bumping the handle until it broke free. Then did the same until it was lose enough to kill the fear of them snapping. Repeated for every plug. It was absolutely painless.

So, anyone paranoid over breaking them, it is more the warning than anything else.

At FIRST start, the CEL blinked and the code went away and the car ran fantastic. I used the Champion plugs.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Nice I want to do mine soon since I only have 54,000 it would be a little less scary. Where did you get the plugs? And are they a one piece design?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. One piece. Amazon. Fantastic price. 55 shipped for 8.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yep that's a good price.
I did mine in the summer, about 60 k miles.
Figured I would buy the removal tool if I broke any but they all came out. Just got some beer and took it slow. On the plugs, not the beer. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah man I did mine at 110k on the OEM plugs. I bought the lisle tool just in case but just took my time and soaked them for several hours with PB Blaster. I'd let them soak for 30 minutes then do a 180-360 turn on each plug then let them soak again. Patience and you won't break the dang things!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Nice I want to do mine soon since I only have 54,000 it would be a little less scary. Where did you get the plugs? And are they a one piece design?
I did mine at 96,000 and no problem. I don't think you can buy 2 piece anymore. The lisle repair kit for retrieving a broken one is only $75. I got one for insurance but didn't need it.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
That's good to hear. I have 53k on mine and was gonna replace them soon with the one piece.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts