Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.) is it expensive to rebuild a motor
2.) should mileage determine if you should keep modding your ride? If it's like 125k miles?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
mine had 122K+ and i threw a H/C/I setup on it.....

once you cross the 200ish point yeah i wouldn't do anything major, like that but bolt on's never really hurt, and if you plan on just rebuilding it anyways if something happens the stuff will still be there so if you plan to keep it and repair it i say go for it..........

as to the rebuild are we talking stock rebuild or "built?"

·
Banned
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Built. Always go for better.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Is it expensive to install a cam???

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
for built you can keep the factory crank if you want to stay a 3.8 in which case the forged internals are $1400+ on their own then you have a couple hundred on bearings and if you can't do it on your own at least 400-600 in shop labor to assemble it (possibly more) then you have the top end to consider all new gaskets and head bolts $150-$200

cams aren't that bad really aside from the price of the cam, with that much mileage i would recommend you get new lifters (can buy a set of 16 for $115) if you can refrain from damaging them you can reuse your lower intake gaskets but it would be a good idea to silicone the water jackets on the gaskets (both sides), depending on the aggressiveness of the cam you may need new pushrods and valve springs (custom cams can be made to where you can reuse your factory parts if you are tight on cash)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
heads alone not a lot, you'll gain some top end hp but too big a port with factory intakes and cam just kinda lacks on the bottom end, do that with some ported intakes and a cam and you'll be rolling......

just save up (even if you buy it in pieces) and do it all at once, no point in tearing into the motor a couple times, just wasting money....

when you get time hit up ESG-642T on here, he does a bunch of work on these V6's and can hook you up

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
-_- i said not a lot lol, maybe 10ish on the wheels with nothing else, maybe.....

·
Banned
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
davidcseifert said:
heads alone not a lot, you'll gain some top end hp but too big a port with factory intakes and cam just kinda lacks on the bottom end, do that with some ported intakes and a cam and you'll be rolling......

just save up (even if you buy it in pieces) and do it all at once, no point in tearing into the motor a couple times, just wasting money....

when you get time hit up ESG-642T on here, he does a bunch of work on these V6's and can hook you up
Ok and thanks

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

And sorry for saying your car sounded like a supra lol

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts