Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed a lot but with conflicting information. So I would like to know has anyone done this swap? If so some accurate information would be great. Does the k member have to be changed I’ve read both yes and no on the web. Also how hard is is to bypass the computer and run a carburetor and still keep most of the dash functions? Any information would be great.

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
Strip the whole car down to the shell and parts. Get a K member from a 94/95 GT, 351 mounts, all the 351 swap parts and look up a carb conversion. This car will not pass any sort of emissions and in many states will not be a legal swap as the engine is older than the car.

There are exhaustive threads on this sort of thing at the Corral, Stanget and SVT Performance. IMO you would be much better off buying a 94/95 GT, those are almost a direct swap and you can use that EFI setup.

Also what is your budget? Because doing this correctly is going to run $15-$20k+ and that's if you do most of your own work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m going to do it myself. Don’t really care about emissions where I live we don’t have any.

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
Ok well a properly built 408 is gonna run between $6 and $8k, a transmission to hold it another $2-$3k and then a rear end another $3k or so... that's before chassis stiffening, suspension, tires, rims,swap exhaust, other mods you need to do etc... etc...

If your goal is just to have a fast as **** car I'd suggest a gen1 coyote automatic with a 200 shot. Will be cheaper and way more reliable. If you are dead set on it then go for it... just please be aware what you are getting into. Way too many ppl start on projects like this thinking its gonna be like $6k-$8k...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not interested in any fuel injected motor is already built went with the 427. So that’s not a issue. I bought the car questions are basically what I need to swap it out. To be honest I haven’t even got the car to my shop yet to start working on it. I I did see a k member on CJ pony parts that allows you to put a 390-428 in one on these cars. This really peeked my interest I have a 390 out of a 66 fairlane with A tri power set up on it. Might have to get this one together then go that route lol. I’m a fan of the fe big blocks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just out of curiosity isn’t the wiring harness under the hood isolated from the body harness like turn signals head lights. I know they are on the older cars.

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
Ok so you actually have your own shop and whatnot. Ok cool, way too many like... 22 yr olds with a V6 come in here asking "what all do I need to swap to V8?" and expect it to be a $800 process they can do in their driveway with a set of harbor freight tools. Not that I haven't done transmissions in the driveway with harbor freight tools lmao.

The K from the 94/95 bolts directly into any 94-04 unibody and is stock for 302 and 351. The 95 Cobra R actually was a 351. You just need the correct motor mounts and headers and a cowl hood, it drops right in. Yes the harnesses are independent from each other. The body harness, dash harness, engine harness and trans harness all clip together. If you were to put in that carb'd 427 with like... an AOD or a manual trans and your own fuel system you'd only really need some of the body harness and the dash. You will also have to deal with PATS on a 96-up car but that's not hard to get around with a tune on the computer or whatever. I'm sure any tuner could write you a stock tune base tune with PATS disabled for a few bucks since it would only take them a minute to load the stock tune and tick a box to turn off PATS and a few other boxes like turn off the O2s and other things that could trip annoying dash lights.

Reactions: jkeaton

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I have my own shop 2 lifts and all lol. I mainly work on the 60s models . Don’t know much about the newer ones. Guess I’m about to figure it out.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
The very rare (50?)1999 Saleen S351 was powered by a supercharged first generation Lightning 351 engine. Saleen was converting V6 cars as a matter of economy. They used the factory V6 k-members, likely, slightly modified with a notch, and possibly a Bronco rear sump oil pan. They were able to somehow get the engine to sit low enough, and as far back in the chassis as possible, to be able to fit the taller 351 under the factory hood.
Information about how exactly Saleen did this is spotty. And most Mustang enthusiasts have never heard of the car, much less, ever seen or worked on one.

My point is, if Saleen did it with a stock V6 K-member, so can you. I would try placing the 351 into the engine bay and see what needs to be done to get it to fit, before searching around for a clean, straight 94-95 GT K-member, which has a narrower track width than a New Edge unit.
As far as getting the speedometer, and all of the other instrumentation to work? You are on your own, Bud.... But, again, if Saleen was able to do it, so can you.
Of course, they weren't using an old top loader 4 speed, so that probably made the electronic speedometer connection a bit easier.
Same advice if you want to try to install a FE engine into the car.
What about the motor mounts you ask? Weld in whatever you need to make it work. Just like hot rodders have been doing for the last 100 years....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes it has. It sits on the lift in the garage all the time. Might put 500 miles a year on it.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Several years ago, one of the members of this forum was talking about doing a FE swap into a New Edge. I just can't recall how far along the project got. He did have the 390 though.
That's interesting that they make a K-member for a FE swap! Haha
I actually have a OEM 3x2 manifold from a Galaxie. It's complete except for the air cleaner. Sold the boat, along with the 428SCJ engine that it was on.... Couldn't let go of the manifold though. Lol
It was a cool setup, and actually worked fairly well.

A lot of Chevy LS engines are swapped into New Edge Mustangs. Those guys are using stand alone engine management systems, which is much like swapping a carbureted engine in. There must be some LS engine swap tutorials of some sort that deal with the Body Control Module, and getting the speedometer to work on a non-factory transmission.
I just have never paid that much attention because I'm sort of a purist when it comes to swapping engines into cars.... Although, I have become a big advocate for swapping Coyote engines into Chevrolets lately. 🤣

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
Yeah they're using Megasquirt or HolleyEFI or something similar. There was at least one dude who was real good at machining that made his own reluctor wheels and pickups etc... and modified the Mustang harness to be 100% compatible with the LS. IMO if you are gonna LS swap on the cheap get you a FC RX7 or a real nice E36 BMW.

And you also don't have to get a 94/95 K member specifically, that's just for the stocker, you can just bolt in the UPR unit for pushrods too and save a bunch of weight. Car is never going to be a handling car with a 427 in it so might as well go tubular K and save weight/space.

But yeah just look up how to carb swap one of these cars and that's pretty much it, easy... Throw a good AOD behind it and beef up the rear unibody and the suspension and you'll have a rocketship.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’m going to pick up the car Wednesday once I get it in the garage and get it on the lift I’ll know a little more about it. Just see how it goes I guess lol. Any suggestions what trans I’ll need? I guess a bellhousing out of a 94-95 maybe run the transmission out of a 94-95 as well?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would like to use a top loader but don’t seem to be much info on that swap nowhere. When I get it to the shop I’ll do some measuring see what I got lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts