Mustang Evolution Forum banner

141 - 160 of 1233 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
You're right I glanced at the paint from his latest pictures and thought it was grey. Garage picture made the color look darker. Well to me at least.

Adventure till you drop

·
Super Moderator
17,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Its silver for sure. Only issue I think I am going to have with it is making sure I get the paint chipped back to where it is not going to peel anymore and then seal it in with the red putty primer and then paint and blend.

I mean worst case scenario I'll vinyl wrap the roof and they do have a silver wrap if I don't want to go black but I really would prefer to fix the paint correctly.

·
Super Moderator
17,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Are you actually going to spray the color down too? I didn't know you painted as well.

@azurebluemach
Its nothing major so yeah. If this was a whole panel or even a spoiler or something I would probably have it done somewhere. Just a spray bomb kit from a really good paint matching service I've used before with great results.

My car is doing the same thing on the drivers side near the windshield.
It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
I'll do a step by step on it. I've done a similar repair to a way worse paint issue on my old Cobra.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Now I'm afraid to remove the sail panels lol. I mean you have pretty much the same miles I had on mine when I bought it in 2012.

@azurebluemach
You should be, notorious area, funny after all these years, Ford still can't seal windows/panels right. I'd bet almost all of us have some sort of cancer starting to show either here or around windshield. When replacing my windshield, found minor rust both places.

Definately post pics of ur spraybomb job, I've always been wary of painting/clearing something I love, but these are good hidden areas for practice heh

Guess you'll have to wait til you crack ur windshield to deal with the rust under it, lol.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Super Moderator
17,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
You should be, notorious area, funny after all these years, Ford still can't seal windows/panels right. I'd bet almost all of us have some sort of cancer starting to show either here or around windshield. When replacing my windshield, found minor rust both places.

Definately post pics of ur spraybomb job, I've always been wary of painting/clearing something I love, but these are good hidden areas for practice heh

Guess you'll have to wait til you crack ur windshield to deal with the rust under it, lol.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Yep, the sail/roof trim area is notorious for this. Look at the pics I posted a page back of the trim removed. You can see the surface rust spot extending downwards right where the two trim panels meet. This is where it collected water and got under the paint and bubbled and that was that.

Lol now I have all this pressure on me to not **** up haha. I've done this before around the sail panels and it came out to where you couldn't even see it. Here's hoping this repair is just as good.

Like I said there is always the vinyl option as a last resort although I really REALLY don't want to do that. This company at www.paintscratch.com has never done me wrong in the past, their paint is dead nuts to factory.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,172 Posts
Thanks for that link! Lol $347 for a gollon of azure blue paint. :blink: Nice products available on that site. I going to take a long look at my Mach and see if there is anything I would like to paint AB. You can buy spray cans made for non-metal surfaces. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
17,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
That's actually not an unfair price for a gallon of OEM matched paint. The stuff you see in the pic I posted was like $105 worth. I can speak from past experience that their paint is dead nuts matched though.

I cleaned off the roof and all those areas this afternoon with dawn and water to take off any wax or anything on the roof. Going to prep the areas tonight and go from there. Its like 50 degrees for some damn reason right now so I may wait until it gets a little warmer to spray the paint down. Although its more like 60 in my garage so I'm sure it'll be fine.

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
I know that you aren't painting a large area, but if you have a gas water heater, and if it is in your garage, take appropriate measures to ensure that the paint fumes and the flame don't come in contact with one another.

·
Super Moderator
17,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #152 (Edited)
I live in military housing. Its all electric and its in its own utility room in another part of the house but yeah good looking out. That could suck if someone did not take the right precautions. And everything is electric mainly because you don't want gas utilities in a clustered townhouse community honestly.

Luckily with everything in the house being electric I pay no utilities, its all tied into my housing allowance. And there are solar panels on all the houses too so base housing is one giant solar farm which is kinda cool.

Edit: My final re-enlistment bonus deposit dropped today. Wife is getting summer clothes and I am getting some too and paying off a small CC with some of it and the rest is going to go towards the final parts for this car.

-75mm TB/Plenum
-On3 or PAS Slot MAF with flange and pigtail
-Blast/dip/coat/bake of the BBK tuned headers
-Getting the Steeda Ultra Lites blasted and re-coated locally
-Gaskets for valvecovers, timing cover, intake
-Speedhut water/oil gauges and autometer cluster pod
-Tires
-Tune

Probably going to have more like $9k into it when all is said and done... I knew I'd go over budget ugh. Still, for a 34k mile numbered Novi 2000'd car that I've totally gone though and made sure everything is new/correct that is damn good IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
^you seriously can't beat that. Good luck ever getting something like that ever again. 9k is a drop in the bucket, hell that'd what it would cost me to drop a whipple on my coyote. And then I still have to pay for the rest of the car. Lol

IG @Oxford5pointoh

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
Probably closer to 10 before you are satisfied.

I think that is a bargain for that car. And you know that it is done right!
You would look long and hard to find another "fixer upper" like that!
:)

·
Super Moderator
17,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Lol yeah it'll probably be $9500-$10k... which is still a steal for this car with this mileage.

Anyway, the paint repair began tonight...

Sanded down till the paint stopped flaking and smoothed out.

Hit it with this stuff on a lint free cloth and got a BIG swathe around and above this area because the paint is going to overspray a good 4-6".

Then a lint free cloth and the Rust Off

Out comes the putty

And this is where we stand.

50 degree weather=its taking forever to set up. I may just leave it till morning TBTH... supposed to be 80 tomorrow. Will sand it down smooth and then tape everything off and spray tomorrow. Once done I am going to let this setup for a loooooooooooong time before putting the panels back on. Like 1-2 weeks. Also going to clear silicone the joint between the sail and roof panel so this doesn't have any potential to happen again if the car ever has to sit out for any length of time.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Scotty, is that a sandable clear? That's an awesome kit.

·
Super Moderator
17,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Its a specially formulated clearcoat that lays down real easy and dries really fast. AFIAK its not to be sanded but you cut it in with a buffer and cutting crème which is what I will be doing.

Just got in from the garage... got the red putty primer sanded almost exactly how I want it but not happy with a few spots. Re-applied and going to bed. Will attack in in the morning and get it how I want it and start laying down primer/sanding. Once the primer is smooth and all evidence of cracks are invisible I should be home free.

Only area that really has me kinda pissed is a chip in the roof that is far away from everything else. Its a little too big for a pen but small enough that hitting it with this kit is overkill but I'm going to do it anyway. Scuffed up the area around it and filled it with the primer and sanded it down so its about a quarter sized area that needs to get painted over now.

·
Super Moderator
17,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Getting there... Needs moar coats. Also going to clear most of the open sections and cut them in to blend it. Very matte right now obviously with no clear.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Looks good Scotty. Once the clear coat is on, I take it you're gonna buff it and blend the new clear coat and old correct? I'm following your build thread and painting steps to see how it turns out! I'd like to remove the spoiler from my car and paint it, but this seems easier than dragging out my whole paint gun setup and all.

Sent from the mothership.

141 - 160 of 1233 Posts