Mustang Evolution Forum banner

161 - 180 of 1288 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Looks good in the pics but it's being a total pita as far as the metallic paint. It looks ok now but from certain angles it's not great. I'm going to do a few more coats and let it harden up. Clear coat should make it look real good. The repaired area is invisible.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
It's definitely tough to blend metalics.

·
Super Moderator
17,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Not sure how this is going to look... Definitely would be good with a non metallic. Paintscratch actually says right on the website they recommend doing the whole panel with metallics if possible vs blending.

I'm going to give it a few days to dry and then clear and see how that looks.

Like I said worst case I do vinyl. My wife actually saw a pic of a black vinyl roof car and thought my car would look better with the black roof and black Steeda stripes and a black wing. Lol fml.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I haven't ever seen a fully vinyl roof. I'd really like to see it if you do go that route. Do you have pics of the paint you laid on it so far? I am thinking about buying one of these kits to delete the spoiler on my trunk. I was going to plug it and paint the plugs. But when I got the spoiler off, it had gouged the paint after 200k miles.

Sent from the mothership.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Scotty, how did the paint turn out?

·
Super Moderator
17,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Its sanded back down. It was pretty blatant where the OEM paint was and the PS paint was. I mean the color is a dead nuts match but the flake was not. Not really their fault either, spraying with a can vs factory is not going to ever turn out the same. It was stupid easy with white paint last time lol.

Debating right now whether I am going to go from broke and try the whole roof panel (will need another can) or just say eff it and do the gloss vinyl wrap.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Yeah, I knew it'd be tough with metallic but was hoping it'd blend. I'm sure it'd get expensive fast. I'd love to see an example of the gloss vinyl wrap. I'll Google.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
That looks more satin but it's absolutely sick! Lol thank you Google.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Just look on AM. They sell it and already have customer pics.

·
Super Moderator
17,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
I do remember... but there are other things I want to get for this car after its running properly.

1 is going to be trying to find someone to swap my low mileage solid axle with the steeda control arms for an IRS and then do a FTBR kit.

2 is going to be the full MM K member setup with forward offset control arms.

3 is the hood and a 99/01 Cobra front bumper and at that point I am going to do a full re-spray on the car and I'll have the shop peel the vinyl off and remove the windshield/back window and do it right. That is likely 2 or 3 years down the road. Car looks damn good like it is IMO.

Also with the black roof and some other black accents on the car... I'm starting to think about those goddamn Icon tails... they're growing on me as much as I didn't like them at first. That will probably be a tax return purchase next year or when I get some spare $$$ lying around.

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
Well, I suppose that if you aren't happy with the results of the roof, there probably isn't an easier panel on the car to repaint.
I don't think that a body shop would charge too much to repaint it, especially if everything is already disassembled, and sanded.
Or, if you can scrounge up some decent spray equipment, this is something that you can do yourself Scotty.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Off topic.. But did you purchase this is jersey? There was one like this on my local CL

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Super Moderator
17,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Purchased it up by Lake Hopatcong. So yes. I found it on CL.

·
Super Moderator
17,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Little work tonight. Still not 100% on standing for long periods of time. Hopefully soon so I can get cracking on the car itself. Also need to clean the garage out really badly...

Nice convenient temp sensor port on the inside part of the left head=no having to drill the intake crossover. Will Google what the other sensor there is before I cut that cord.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
That,s the one i was talking about in the other thread, because i 'm using the ecu from my 98 i need two temperature sending units, so i'm still going to drill and tap the crossover but i'm thinking i'm going to use the one in the head for an aftermarket temp gauge.

The best part is since i have the wiring harness i have the connector and wire.

161 - 180 of 1288 Posts