Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I'm finally restoring my GT after being hit in 2017. I won a lawsuit (and some money) and plan on first painting the car, but I've also decided to throw on a fresh set of wheels. I currently have aftermarket Bullitts (typical 17x9/10.5 setup with Mickey Thompsons) but was thinking of going with XXR 531 wheels -- 18x9.5/11.

Two questions:

What's the offset/backspacing/etc I'll need to make sure the wheels don't rub or stick out past the fenders? (Side note: I plan on having the fenders rolled and am leaning toward air suspension.)

With modifications, what's the widest I can go, front and back? I'd like to go wider after the engine build, if possible.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? I'm thinking 18x9.5/11 on 255/40 and 295/35 tires. Currently on Steeda sport springs. Will they fit my GT?

Also, what's the widest wheel/tire combo I can do with mods?

I'd like to make an appointment within the next couple of weeks for the paint/bodywork, so any help/links are appreciated. I'll likely be going to AA Autoworks in Los Angeles -- if anyone has any experiences with them, please let me know. I might do the paint/body/wheels/air suspension all in one shot.

Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Man, i just recently sold mine. I had 265/35/18 and 305/35/18 (then dropped down to 295
. No rubbing nor did i have to fender roll. Im about 1.50 drop all around.
Not this best pictures lol. I just got mine painted last week.
What part of LA are you from?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice. Those are the 18x9.5/11s? Are they flush or do they poke out past the fenders? A couple images didn't show... I'm thinking the hyper silver - car is black. I'm in the West LA area... are you In LA? Where'd you go for the paint?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes. They were 9.5/11. They lined up perfect with the fender. I was running Toyo Proxes at the time. Now i have continental extreme contact. They don’t run as wide as the Toyos. I used to live in the SGV. I worked in South LA for a few years. Believe it or not, i took it to Maaco. They actually did a really good job!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I also plan on going with the Continentals. Did F/R both have 20mm offsets? I did some more research and found someone who had this setup, with 20mm offsets F/R. I'm debating on going the cheap route on the paint lol.

Why did you end up getting rid of your XXRs? Just curious.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes they were.
i honestly got tired of them. I wanted something gloss. I came across a sweet deal on some used Rovos Durban (i know they’re played out) but i always liked them since day one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks great! I also plan on doing the Bullitt skirts, but shaved versions from a place in NV. Do you still have the GT bumper?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think i know what company you’re talking about. They have a shaved cobra bumper i have my eye on. Or i may just get a carters custom diffuser for the rear. I got rid of that bumper a long time ago lol.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I meant the rear bumper. I'm converting to a 03/04 Cobra front end, Bullitt sides, GT rear sans spoiler -- wish they made the 03/04 Cobra bumper with the Mustang lettering. Might go platinum with the XXRs. I have an appointment in a few weeks for the paint/body work. They said it'll be ready 2-3 weeks after that. Might also do air but it's stretching the budget for now. I'll post pics.

·
Super Moderator
17,953 Posts
Wider isn't always better. A larger 275 wide like a BFG is PLENTLY for the street and will sit flush on a 10" wide rim perfectly. You go much wider than 10-10.5" rim you need to start messing around. Not worth it for literally 0 performance gain... I personally like 18x9 all the way around. I can run 275s on all 4 corners and rotate them and it handles better.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wider isn't always better. A larger 275 wide like a BFG is PLENTLY for the street and will sit flush on a 10" wide rim perfectly. You go much wider than 10-10.5" rim you need to start messing around. Not worth it for literally 0 performance gain... I personally like 18x9 all the way around. I can run 275s on all 4 corners and rotate them and it handles better.
I agree, but I guess I'm also going for the look. I already ordered the wheels/tires -- think I'll have fitment issues?

I do plan on doing a build in the next year or two, so at least then I'll be able to better utilize the wider setup. That said, I actually want to go forged and even wider at that time. Would you happen to know the max front/rear wheel/tire size I could fit with modifications?

·
Super Moderator
17,953 Posts
You ordered 295s for 11s? They are either gonna be flush or the rim is gonna lip out. I had BFG 295s on a set of 10.5" wides once and it was CLOSE. 255 on a 9.5 is going to be real close as well, probably too narrow. Honestly if those are the sizes you ordered I hope they run wide or the car is going to have a "hella flush" look...

That said, I had a set of BFG 235/45/18 on some 18x8 front rims and they fit PERFECT because BFGs do run huge. That was the same setup with the 275/40/18 out back that fit amazing as well. Really depends on the brand and the section width because it does vary so much.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You ordered 295s for 11s? They are either gonna be flush or the rim is gonna lip out. I had BFG 295s on a set of 10.5" wides once and it was CLOSE. 255 on a 9.5 is going to be real close as well, probably too narrow. Honestly if those are the sizes you ordered I hope they run wide or the car is going to have a "hella flush" look...

That said, I had a set of BFG 235/45/18 on some 18x8 front rims and they fit PERFECT because BFGs do run huge. That was the same setup with the 275/40/18 out back that fit amazing as well. Really depends on the brand and the section width because it does vary so much.
Yeah, I saw a couple pictures of what was supposedly the same combo and it seemed OK, but I admit the pics could've been better. The tires are Continental Extreme Contact DWS06. I thought of going with 265/40 and 305/35, but that's when I started thinking about the performance value -- tires can be damn expensive.

What about the fitment issue of going wider? How wide can I go before I have to do other modifications? I'll keep the wheels for another round of tires after I do the engine build.

·
Super Moderator
17,953 Posts
295 is plenty wide for a street car, you don't need anymore than that. Remember at some point you start losing traction from going wider because you are distributing the weight over a larger area so less pressure per square inch of tread. I run 275s on all 4 corners. Handling is way better, it hooks great and I can rotate. Run spacers with extended studs out back to get rid of the tucked look.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, the wheels are arriving at my office on Monday. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed. Worst case - I'll get some use out of them, sell them, and maybe run spacers in the future with a different set. I know I won't get much performance benefit, if any (especially on an old bolt-on GT), but I really just love the look of the wider wheels/tires.

Anyway, I'll post pics when they come in.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Everything seems to look good so far. Hard to get pics in my apartment, but I’ll take more pics when the car’s done. Hopefully they’ll be ready for me soon.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts