Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to the whole Mustang scene well new to building vehicles never really been mechanically inclined i love my car and want to build it to the way i want it so bare with me i have a lot of questions.
Thanks in advance for all the help guys!
1. looking to upgrade my clutch can i use my stock flywheel and have it resurfaced?
2. What in the heck is 10 spline, 26 spline and so on?
3. (Flywheel) Checked my vin number the 8th letter is what type of block Windsor or romeo i have a Windsor 8th letter is an X when i looked up everything said the part was a 8 bolt for my block well it says it only fits 99-late 01's so should i just ignore the model it says it fits? SR Performance Billet Steel Mustang Flywheel - 8 Bolt 383718 (99-Mid 01 GT; 96-04 Cobra, Mach 1; 11-14 GT) - Free Shipping (part i was looking at)
4. When i get my clutch how long is the break in period? should i get new cable and all?
5. Anywhere i could find seat covers that wont cost me an arm and leg?
6. Have a SR Performance cold air intake, SR Performance 70mm Throttle body and Bama ITSX Wireless tuner. What are some good mods for more horsepower?
7. Bought some touch up paint for a few scratches here and there paint code is TK which is Mineral gray but doesn't match up at all anyone have a mineral gray they could post pictures so i can compare?
8. I've seen pictures of people plasti dip parts of there car anyone done it? how long does it last? durable?
9. Anyone know where i can find stock specifications? (gears, injectors, just general stuff)
Once again THANKS for all the help guys like i said im new to this and just want to learn the more advice the better i have very little knowledge about engines and what not :(

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
1. If your going to upgrade your clutch I'd personally replace the flywheel with a quality unit. Not personally a fan of SR parts. Personal preference.

2. Um, the number of splines on a shaft...

3. See #1.

4. Not long, I'd do new cables, no sense in doing it half way.

5. Nope, no cheap seat cover is worth it. In fact I spent 400 on cal trend covers, still not worth it. Have an upholstery shop recover.

6. Full exhaust, heads, gears, forced induction. That's about it.

7. The touch up paint, like the pens, always dry a different shades.

8. It's not exactly cheap, and it's not permanent. Doesn't look as good as paint, a matte paint will look better everytime. Don't get me wrong, plasti dip can look pretty good. Just not as good as paint. Obviously again, it's temporary. Handy for trying out designs before moving to paint.

10. Service manual and Internet.

You asked a lot so I try to answer all your questions. If you want further explanation on anything be glad to elaborate, obviously this is the quick and dirty version.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
This is my original paint, Mineral Grey.

After 14 - 15 years one can expect the paint to fade due to the sun. The best way to make sure you have the correct color is to open the trunk, hood, or a door and add a drop of paint to a spot that is not noticeable.

Most people are not familiar with pain mixing, and they expect a small paint brush, air brush, or touch up brush to give an instant color match. That rarely happens, and is the reason auto paint and body shops blend the new paint into the old paint during a repair.

Mineral Grey is a mixture of silver (that has small bits of metalic), black, white, blue, and a couple other colors, reducers, a hardener, and a small amount of pearl. Then you have an application of clear. Clear coats are clear to the average person, but if you ever mix it, or watch someone mix clear you will notice that it has a very slight yellow tint.

I know this is a long post to give a simple answer. However, paint in and of itself is far from simple. When you touch up a scratch or chip there is no sure way to make the metalic and pearls lay in the same manner as they were originally applied by the factory or a spray gun. You can get different reflections that make a perfectly match color appear different.

I had a lot truck coming my way on a two lane bridge that stretches two miles. That truck lost a wheel. The entire wheel, tire, and hub broke off and positioned itself perfectly in my lane. I had three choices; a head on collision in a Dodge Ram vs a loaded 18 wheeler hauling logs, a swim in the water, or eat the oncoming wheel. Needless to say I chose the 60 mph bouncing wheel and tire. I had to have a new grill, fender, bumper cover, etc. I personally sprayed every part, and I still have a flaw in the color that I can see. Every part on the truck matches perfectly, with the exception of the fender. The pearls and metallic reflect light slightly different than the door, and I can see the flaw that most people never notice. 0524161011.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts