Mustang Evolution Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Right now I am not looking forward to ever removing the starter on my car. The sad part is that it must come off in order to change the clutch.

I am hoping you find an answer to this that doesn't include unboltibg the maifolds and removing the engine and tranny.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,705 Posts
We have some of these issues. This might be an inconvenience, just letting you know. We usually weld a nut on the stripped head, then get a socket that fits and done. Might have to go to a shop that has welder if you don't have one. Again, might be an inconvenience but worth a shot.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
We have some of these issues. This might be an inconvenience, just letting you know. We usually weld a nut on the stripped head, then get a socket that fits and done. Might have to go to a shop that has welder if you don't have one. Again, might be an inconvenience but worth a shot.

Leave it to Recon for the creative answer.

In want a video of the welding.

Is there any way to drill a hole in the bolt head and then use an easy out? I am asking because I have no idea. I just know you are in a tight spot with a long extension. I am trying my best to imagine your fight

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts

If it were possible to fit a welder up to that bolt then he wouldn't be having to ouch difficulty getting something onto the bolt.

OP are you doing this with the midpipe installed?

You might need to pull the exhaust manifold off to give you some more space.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
If it were possible to fit a welder up to that bolt then he wouldn't be having to ouch difficulty getting something onto the bolt.

OP are you doing this with the midpipe installed?

You ayala need to pull the exhaust manifold off to give you some more space.
Can you take the mid pipe off without removing the starter?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I actually do have a welder and contemplating doing that but still wasn't sure if I would be able to get it on there well enough to get it off. The midpipe is already off the car. Thank you guys for the replys. Just to let you know this bolt FINALLY came out soon after making my cry for help on here. Dang that was a fricken ordeal. I'm glad that it's out now and I'll begin pulling the transmission soon! Thanks again for helping me out guys. BTW, I didn't do anything special it just finally came out with enough messing with it. Wow. What a ridiculous job that was.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
Can you take the mid pipe off without removing the starter?

Yes, it's kind of a pain in the *** but it's possible.

I actually do have a welder and contemplating doing that but still wasn't sure if I would be able to get it on there well enough to get it off. The midpipe is already off the car. Thank you guys for the replys. Just to let you know this bolt FINALLY came out soon after making my cry for help on here. Dang that was a fricken ordeal. I'm glad that it's out now and I'll begin pulling the transmission soon! Thanks again for helping me out guys. BTW, I didn't do anything special it just finally came out with enough messing with it. Wow. What a ridiculous job that was.

Awesome! I think my first starter tool me about 3 days because of that bolt.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Well I still can't get the transmission out of the car. But while I'm doing that I have a boost gauge to install. Is it pretty difficult to install? Is this something I should have a shop do to make sure it's done right? I would like it to work similar to my stock lighting.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Well I still can't get the transmission out of the car. But while I'm doing that I have a boost gauge to install. Is it pretty difficult to install? Is this something I should have a shop do to make sure it's done right? I would like it to work similar to my stock lighting.

What has the trans caught?

I'm asking because I have to eventually pull the transmission in my car and deal with what sounds like an input bearing.

I am following your thread (and the thread of others) to learn as much as I can. Ford does things a bit different than everyone else. I have been a Pontiac and Mopar guy my entire life.

The only Mustang I owned was a 64 1/2; and that was easy to tear apart. My baby brother had a Fox Body as his first car, and I had the chance to play with that a little, but I was not as involved with his car like a big brother should have been.

The New Edge Mustangs we own remind me of full size go carts with a body slapped on top. Everything is compact and tight. There is a sequence and secret combination required to take these little beasts apart. That said; I'm trying to learn from everyone else's mistakes.

I enjoy my car though. It really is a labor of love. My car is my personal therapy and relaxation.

Ok, back to your issue; what is holding you back with the transmission?

·
Premium Member
6,705 Posts
You get the one bolt that needs like a 3 foot extension?
Installed one in my 427R. Not hard at all, though I doubt you can mount it in the same place I did. Wasn't difficult, but need to do some more wiring work. It lights up but its dim. Also if you get the Roush gauge the instructions can't be more vague.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Attachments

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
What has the trans caught?

I'm asking because I have to eventually pull the transmission in my car and deal with what sounds like an input bearing.

I am following your thread (and the thread of others) to learn as much as I can. Ford does things a bit different than everyone else. I have been a Pontiac and Mopar guy my entire life.

The only Mustang I owned was a 64 1/2; and that was easy to tear apart. My baby brother had a Fox Body as his first car, and I had the chance to play with that a little, but I was not as involved with his car like a big brother should have been.

The New Edge Mustangs we own remind me of full size go carts with a body slapped on top. Everything is compact and tight. There is a sequence and secret combination required to take these little beasts apart. That said; I'm trying to learn from everyone else's mistakes.

I enjoy my car though. It really is a labor of love. My car is my personal therapy and relaxation.

Ok, back to your issue; what is holding you back with the transmission?

Well, the bolts holding the transmission in at the top are halting me right now. I just don't quite have the right extensions for the job. Every little part of this except the exhaust has been such a struggle. I thought the transmission would be pretty easy. It's actually really discouraging and kind if upsetting that I'm having so much trouble with it. I don't really want to mess with it more for a while. I'm planning on having a friend that is a new edge guru come over and help me. I will definitely say to make sure that you have lots of tools and extensions. Even using the cut off end of a bat as a cheater bar over a wrench still won't break the bolts loose on my transmission. It's making me kind of mad at the car. I'm sure you won't have as much trouble as I have with it. Everything is twice as hard, takes twice as long and costs twice as much when I do it haha.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
You get the one bolt that needs like a 3 foot extension?
Installed one in my 427R. Not hard at all, though I doubt you can mount it in the same place I did. Wasn't difficult, but need to do some more wiring work. It lights up but its dim. Also if you get the Roush gauge the instructions can't be more vague.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Well I have the same gauge but I got it from a friend for free so it doesn't have the wires or tubing with it. I need to gather all the materials to install it and I'm actually putting it on my steering column. It will be put in a bezel like this one. I just don't really know what all I need to install it. Things like how much wire and how much tubing and where to nearly connect the tubing. I know I need a "add a circuit", white, red, and black wire as well crimp connectors. There's just a lot going into this and it's kind of overwhelming. I wish now I would have purchased a kit that was new with the stuff.

Anyway, it will be mounted like this one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
Well, the bolts holding the transmission in at the top are halting me right now. I just don't quite have the right extensions for the job. Every little part of this except the exhaust has been such a struggle. I thought the transmission would be pretty easy. It's actually really discouraging and kind if upsetting that I'm having so much trouble with it. I don't really want to mess with it more for a while. I'm planning on having a friend that is a new edge guru come over and help me. I will definitely say to make sure that you have lots of tools and extensions. Even using the cut off end of a bat as a cheater bar over a wrench still won't break the bolts loose on my transmission. It's making me kind of mad at the car. I'm sure you won't have as much trouble as I have with it. Everything is twice as hard, takes twice as long and costs twice as much when I do it haha.

So when I pulled the transmission out of my '00 I removed the trans crossmember and lowered the transmission a bit so that I could get better access to those bolts.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts