Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2002 V6 mustang Exhaust?

2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  brewer 
#1 ·
I want to finish up my exhaust. I dont know what to do now. I have an H-pipe and SLP Loudmouth dual exhaust. the sound i think is pretty good. but now what?

I want longtubes but i dont know where to get them and how much a good set will go for

should i run the longtubes to some SLP high flow cats or go catless and basically run the straight pipes which i have now?

any other ideas for better sound and performance?

#2 ·
I would go with the Mac long tubes for the V6. They generally run $300 for a pair. check out http://www.stangmods.com/MAC-Headers-p/001789-ceramic.htm Long tubes will make the exhaust flow run smoother resulting in better horsepower and torque. Plus they are loud!!! I wouldn't get the high flow cats but if your state requires them for emissions then I understand that you have to have them. Go with straight pipes too. V6 engines fire evenly so there is no need for an h pipe or x pipe although some say having an h pipe makes the car louder. Its really ur preference but i personally wouldn't run them. Be careful not to run ur pipes no larger then 2.5 inches though. U will build up a lot of back pressure having pipes bigger then that. Good luck on ur build!

#3 ·
Honestly, the only way you're going to get significant amounts of power is to go with forced induction, and that doesn't come cheap. You may also want to consider 4.10 gears for better acceleration. The gears + install should run about $500-$600.

When it comes to making a V6 Mustang sound good...well, sound tolerable IMO your best bet is something milder, something along the lines of a Flowmaster 50 series, an H pipe (not X pipe), and shorty headers. Long tubes are overkill here, remember you're only having to deal with 3.8L's of exhaust gasses. IMO going with straight pipes or single chambered mufflers on a V6 is a bad idea. They make your car sound like a farming implement.

#4 ·
its exhaust on an even firing 3.8L v6 mustang...every exhaust combo will give you about the same amount of hp. longtubes will be the best thing you can do for exhaust, and MAC and Pacesetter make lt headers for the v6. MAC is better and you can find anything on ebay :)
im not sure where else people sell MAC lts anymore, but they usually go for ~$300 while Pacesetters go for ~$200. ive heard MAC is better, which is easy to see by the cost.

and since you have straight-through mufflers and an hpipe, running catless may result in a loss of backpressure. im not positive on that though, but i would run with high flow cats and dont go over 2.5" diameter piping for the exhaust.

#5 ·
If you run straight pipes on a V6 it sounds a little weird. Kind of like Hondas sound like lawnmowers. Run shorty headers that should connect right up an X pipe or H pipe. I would consider Smog regulations in your state. i have to take off my headers and X pipe once a year to smog my GT. This is kind of fun to do cus its time spend drinking beer and working on your car.

#12 ·
I have an idea. You want to increase the volume of exhaust gases coming through your exhaust pipes. You can easily accomplish this by adding more displacement to your engine. This is accomplished by BUYING A V8!!

Nobody likes a phony-pony v6.

You may tell us to f*** off but, it's the truth. Everyone who owns a mustang will just laugh at your car. Your car will literally become a joke. People wont look at your car and say "hey, thats a nice car!". It will be more along the lines of "hahahah look at that ******, he thinks he has a v8!". Or "Did he seriously do that to a v6 mustang? Why?". These are things me and all my firends woud say if I saw your car driving down the street. You'll get no repect and most of all, your car will still be slow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.