Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys so I have an issue with the mentioned vehicle. 176,000+ miles. Very reliable vehicle for me. Started it this morning and the gauges did nothing. Tried turning it off and starting back up a few times and nothing. So I drove to my destination (25 minutes) and the speedo/Rpm/temp gauges all pinned to max over the course of the drive. Fuel/voltage/oil pressure all stayed at zero. I could hear a constant ticking behind the cluster while the car is on and/or running

Digital driver information such as odometer/mpg/fuel to empty/and all other options (which is a lot) are NOT showing up at all.

Digital selected gear indicator is NOT working.

Turn signal/highbeam indicators ARE working.

I checked the fuse and it is still good.

My question is should I buy a new gauge cluster? If I do what will the odometer read? (I don't know exact mileage right now)

Should I buy a used one from a junkyard? If so what will the mileage read?

Or should I (can I) fix the one that I have and how do I go about doing that??

Thanks guys I hope someone can help!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so I researched a little more and found that if I get a new gauge the odometer will not read true to the vehicle. So I want to get this one repaired. I see a few reputable companies on the internet out of state. Anyone have any recommendations on who to send it to? Any experiences?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
with 176K I would go with option "C" and ignore it.

Mud I agree with your opinion to an extent. I can't see the odometer reading which doesn't allow me to interval my fluid changes. And correct me if I'm wrong, but that's 1 factor in keeping a vehicle running through its high mileage years.

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts
no doubt...I would worry more about idiot lights and the like (ie altenator failure or...? ) and just change my oil/fluids on a time basis. idk how much a repair/replace would be but not cheap is a good bet. I believe if you swap it out you can get a certificate for odometer replacement which will aid in selling but in real life will there be much value in it when you sell?

I'm cheap...take that into consideration. I am running my all-seasons with tape on the tpms light.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no doubt...I would worry more about idiot lights and the like (ie altenator failure or...? ) and just change my oil/fluids on a time basis. idk how much a repair/replace would be but not cheap is a good bet. I believe if you swap it out you can get a certificate for odometer replacement which will aid in selling but in real life will there be much value in it when you sell?

I'm cheap...take that into consideration. I am running my all-seasons with tape on the tpms light.

Haha I understand that for sure. The check engine light is what I'm not sure will come on or not since the turn signal indicators still work. I don't want to risk that at all. I'm just waiting on some cluster repair companies to get back to me after the holiday on pricing and possibly give me a definite yes on if it needs repaired or if I have a different issue like something electrical.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after troubleshooting and researching and a mound of frustrations. I checked fuses and relays and I made sure every ground associated with the cluster was shined up and tight. Nothing. Took everything apart and got the cluster out. There must be a module or computer of some sort that controls all the stepper motors inside that went bad. So sending it out for repair and the shop claims they can get the odometer reading off the cluster and set it back to what it was if it doesn't show what it actually is.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1496708485.119066.jpg
Well it's back together. I had a cluster company fix the issue and this is what they sent back once they fixed it. Not too versed in my electrical mechanics, but they fixed it. Still have my mileage and everything is spot on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts