Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About five days ago, I thought I had an exhaust leak. After my mechanic had a look/listen, he heard a tap coming from my passenger-side valve cover. To
Be more specific, I was told it was a cam follower causing the tap. In addition, at the same time, the motor that was once silky smooth, seems to vibrate a bit more now. Like you can feel it shake a tiny bit.

This is, obviously, annoying. Is there anything I can do about this? I figured when I do my next oil change (due next week) and add a better fuel (Sunoco or shell vs "Wawa") it'll help reduce it. Will it kill it, or no effect? Plus, should I be too worried? What are your thoughts? Also it seems to go away quite a bit after it warms up.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Other notes: it only has 72000 miles and I've only owned it for a little more than 3000 miles.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Not sure if I can answer your questions but with a high mileage car everything just seems to go lol, my '03 has 74000 and it just seems like I have to keep repairing things lol but I love my stang :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is true. My 97 never had this problem though.

·
Registered
711 Posts
It could be a few things but chances are one or a few of your hydraulic lifters are warn out which would make that noise. I cammed my car and didn't change them and it sounds like a diesel motor because they are warn into the stock cam profile. This would explain why it would lessen after heating up due to expansion, mine does the same thing. They aren't to expensive to buy but it's a pain to replace. You never know till you get in there and start throwing parts at it. Hopefully it's not a bearing cause then your toast.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
t0t4lbl4ck0ut said:
It could be a few things but chances are one or a few of your hydraulic lifters are warn out which would make that noise. I cammed my car and didn't change them and it sounds like a diesel motor because they are warn into the stock cam profile. This would explain why it would lessen after heating up due to expansion, mine does the same thing. They aren't to expensive to buy but it's a pain to replace. You never know till you get in there and start throwing parts at it. Hopefully it's not a bearing cause then your toast.
I assume you're referring to a rod bearing. How would you be able to tell? For what I know it's not coming from the bottom of the motor, unless that's not a symptom. Also, the noise isn't as intense now and the engine seems to be running smoother. Idk past that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
t0t4lbl4ck0ut said:
Will the ticking go away? I just did a Pi swap & I reused the lifters & I am also getting a ticking.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: It seems the tapping is only when I first start it, then it goes away and I don't hear it anymore. I'm going to add oil stabilizer when I do my oil change next week and see if it helps.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
t0t4lbl4ck0ut said:
No they are just worn to what you previously had. They aren't doing any damage. They are just noisy
Ok so if it's just my follower it won't damage anything, just be annoying?

·
Registered
711 Posts
It's the hydraulic lifters aren't lifting your followers enough and it's makes that tapping noise. It's just annoying. Change your lifters to fix it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok sweet. Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts