Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so i have a 1999 mustang gt with 180 thousand miles on it. There is a Slavage yard about 100 mile away that does nothing but mustangs. They have over 2000 mutangs in. If I wanted to put a 2004 in my 1999 what would I have to change out in order for everything twork or ahould i just stick with a 1999 gt engine? I only ask because its making a mocking sound when I accelerate and it sounds like a piston hitting something or something of that nature.

·
Registered
433 Posts
if your sticking with a gt engine out of a 04 then there shouldnt be any differences should be easy as just swapping them out. same goes if your throwing in a 4v into your 99. now if you go with a 4v i think a few things may be a lil different like where the alternators mount and the ac compressor is on the motor but other than that should be easy as a gt swap.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Black99Snake said:
if your sticking with a gt engine out of a 04 then there shouldnt be any differences should be easy as just swapping them out. same goes if your throwing in a 4v into your 99. now if you go with a 4v i think a few things may be a lil different like where the alternators mount and the ac compressor is on the motor but other than that should be easy as a gt swap.
Kind f stupid question but what's the difference between a 2v and a 4v I'm not extremely savvy with engines. More horsepower?

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Barrett775 said:
Kind f stupid question but what's the difference between a 2v and a 4v I'm not extremely savvy with engines. More horsepower?
2 valves per cylinder compared to 4 Valves per cylinder so to some up a long story yes more power.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ryan7racin said:
2 valves per cylinder compared to 4 Valves per cylinder so to some up a long story yes more power.
Thank you. I appreciate the help guys. One of my coworkers told me it sounds to him like a rod is what's causing the sound. Would it be cheaper do you think to fix that or to drive the 90 miles pay between 650 and 1500 depending on the miles on the engine and just switch it out at home?

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Barrett775 said:
Thank you. I appreciate the help guys. One of my coworkers told me it sounds to him like a rod is what's causing the sound. Would it be cheaper do you think to fix that or to drive the 90 miles pay between 650 and 1500 depending on the miles on the engine and just switch it out at home?
It would be cheaper to just fix what's wrong with it, but with a 180,000 miles something else will prolly go out soon after. If I had the money at the time I would just do a full swap, I think it would be cheaper and less of a head ach over time.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
What if he guts and rebuilds?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ryan7racin said:
It would be cheaper to just fix what's wrong with it, but with a 180,000 miles something else will prolly go out soon after. If I had the money at the time I would just do a full swap, I think it would be cheaper and less of a head ach over time.
That's what I'm thinking the body and interior are in almost perfect shape so it would be a complete waste to not just swap her out and save the time and headache. Heck I may just go get the engine and tear it down clean it and maybe even paint it to my liking. Maybe a ford blue or something like that.

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

Butch said:
I would love to fit it and rebuild it but I'm not sure what that would cost me. I'm on a budget haha

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Ah I see, yeah knowledgeless on build prices =\

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Butch said:
Yea or that, either way I think over time it will pay off. If he guts and rebuilds he can put whatever he wants inside, if he buys a newer 2004 he's got a pretty much stock motor with less miles.
It's really just up to him does he have the time an equipment to rebuild a motor from just a block? Or would it be easier to just swap for the 2004.
Also money, does he have the money to rebuild the block how he wants or buy the 2004? Or should he just fix what's wrong with it now.
If it was me and I had the money I would rebuild the motor you have and build it like a want rather than putting a stock 2004 motor in it or fixing the problem. But again it falls back to do you have the equipment/ time/money?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Good points sir. Id be like you if money time space and equipment was all available it would be a fresh 4V for me. 4.6 or even a 5.4

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Butch said:
Good points sir. Id be like you if money time space and equipment was all available it would be a fresh 4V for me. 4.6 or even a 5.4
Yup me too! But I don't have the money or time and my car is running wonderful as of now so no need to replace now. Hopefully when that time comes I can drop a 4v 4.6 or a lighting 5.4 in it.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Ryan7racin said:
Yup me too! But I don't have the money or time and my car is running wonderful as of now so no need to replace now. Hopefully when that time comes I can drop a 4v 4.6 or a lighting 5.4 in it.
Oh yeah same here. Are the lighting blocks stock or built bottom end?

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Butch said:
Oh yeah same here. Are the lighting blocks stock or built bottom end?
To be honest man I have no idea, I have a buddy that has had a couple an they are just amazing motors and also supercharged from the factory. I would LOVE to drop one in mine.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Lightning blocks are 2v 5.4s. Weak point is the powdered metal rods. Like all modulars, crank and block hold way more power than they should.

And rebuilding his 4.6 is going to cost way more than grabbing something from a junkyard. Just the cost to machine his block could buy him a whole junkyard motor with accessories.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Ryan7racin said:
To be honest man I have no idea, I have a buddy that has had a couple an they are just amazing motors and also supercharged from the factory. I would LOVE to drop one in mine.
Source says nay nay on the built bottom. Those trucks are just so sick, I wouldn't mind one at all

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

AgentOrange said:
Lightning blocks are 2v 5.4s. Weak point is the powedered metal rods. Like all modulars, crank and block hold way more power than they should.
Did not know that, hmm well still a built 5.4 would be beast

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yeah Butch, they hold a good bit of power, and MMR sells forged rotating assemblies on the cheap, but the stock block bends rods if you get crazy.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
AgentOrange said:
Lightning blocks are 2v 5.4s. Weak point is the powdered metal rods. Like all modulars, crank and block hold way more power than they should.

And rebuilding his 4.6 is going to cost way more than grabbing something from a junkyard. Just the cost to machine his block could buy him a whole junkyard motor with accessories.
I didn't know that, I don't know a ton about them I just know he had a couple and his were stock and just mean! A built 5.4 lighting would be amazing! Thanks for the info tho

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
AgentOrange said:
Yeah Butch, they hold a good bit of power, and MMR sells forged rotating assemblies on the cheap, but the stock block bends rods if you get crazy.
MMR makes me cry jaja,

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Ryan7racin said:
Here's a couple pics of one if his he had, was pretty much stock. Super powerful from the factory!
So sexy

1 - 20 of 48 Posts