Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious because I've looked into both the cobra and mach 1 but is there really any difference at all besides the cobra having a supercharger stock? I see there's a huge difference in HP but I'm assuming its because of the super charger. Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Cobra has IRS , T56 (6spd) , Interior, Exterior , Forged Internals , lower compression , Obviously better fuel pump and system , Etc.

Mach 1 5 SPD do come with forged crankshaft though

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cobra has IRS , T56 (6spd) , Interior, Exterior , Forged Internals , lower compression , Obviously better fuel pump and system , Etc.

Mach 1 5 SPD do come with forged crankshaft though
Ok so I'm assuming all around cobra is better but statistically I was looking them both up their 0-60 and 1/4 mile time wasnt as drastically different as I would think between a difference of 80 hp

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stock for stock the cobra is better, but not alot of people keep the cars stock and that's where the cobra has the advantage
Yeah I'm just wondering what the big difference is stock for an 04 cobra and mach 1 for daily drivers that want to be able to race lame "ricers" I saw an article by ford saying the cobra torque was ridiculous for daily drivers And mach 1 is practically the same speed wise but is able to be a cruising around car and for both of them there aren't many cars that can beat it.

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Stock for stock the cobra is better, but not alot of people keep the cars stock and that's where the cobra has the advantage
Like in what ways is it better?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Power wise bolts ons will increase the hp on the cobra drastically. Pulley, full exhaust, intake, and tune wil get you 500hp
Ok well I'm only asking because I was planning on getting a mach before I go into college and sell my car and the price between a mach and a cobra is pretty drastic for what I'm looking at (mach being 12-13k cobra being 17-20k) and if it honestly is that big of a difference I do want my dream mustang to be as powerful and fast as possible. Thanks man ?

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
Ok well I'm only asking because I was planning on getting a mach before I go into college and sell my car and the price between a mach and a cobra is pretty drastic for what I'm looking at (mach being 12-13k cobra being 17-20k) and if it honestly is that big of a difference I do want my dream mustang to be as powerful and fast as possible. Thanks man ddc4d
I haven't owned either but if you can save up and get a good deal then go for a cobra. What car do you have and what are you're mods?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't owned either but if you can save up and get a good deal then go for a cobra. What car do you have and what are you're mods?
Oh I just have a v6 99 that I've had for about 8 months now and I love it I've always loved mustangs because my dad had an old 98 cobra when I was just a kid. I haven't done anything to it besides improving its appearance because I got it cheap because its my first car for $4700 and it had really bad sun damage so I got a full color swap and fixed up interior with "new" seats (pick n pull) I was looking into a tuner for 450 but I decided to save my money to save up for my next mustang because even if I get it all tuned out it will still be a v6

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
Oh I just have a v6 99 that I've had for about 8 months now and I love it I've always loved mustangs because my dad had an old 98 cobra when I was just a kid. I haven't done anything to it besides improving its appearance because I got it cheap because its my first car for $4700 and it had really bad sun damage so I got a full color swap and fixed up interior with "new" seats (pick n pull) I was looking into a tuner for 450 but I decided to save my money to save up for my next mustang because even if I get it all tuned out it will still be a v6
I was in the same boat you are in. My first mustang was when I was 18 a 99 v6, I put mostly appearance mods to it, had it for a little over a year, then sold it for a gt then sold it and now have a cobra. If you're looking for a faster mustang then what I would suggest from personal experience is to stop putting money into the one you have now and save up towards the one you want.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was in the same boat you are in. My first mustang was when I was 18 a 99 v6, I put mostly appearance mods to it, had it for a little over a year, then sold it for a gt then sold it and now have a cobra. If you're looking for a faster mustang then what I would suggest from personal experience is to stop putting money into the one you have now and save up towards the one you want.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm doing I pretty much did the bare minimum just to make it pretty then ill end up selling it in the next year and then get my 04 mach 1 or cobra whatever one has the best deal and since my parents agreed to match my price for a graduation present ill have a wider range so most likely a cobra If I really like it

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
Yeah that's exactly what I'm doing I pretty much did the bare minimum just to make it pretty then ill end up selling it in the next year and then get my 04 mach 1 or cobra whatever one has the best deal and since my parents agreed to match my price for a graduation present ill have a wider range so most likely a cobra If I really like it
That's good! Just keep it simple and when you sell it don't rush to buy a new car. I will sell my cobra as well and then buy a terminator probably next year. But good luck with everything!

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
the advantage in easy hp/tq is the key here. The 03/04 cobra will take 600rwhp daily and be fine, more will also be attainable (without going into the motor at all) but most say 600-650 is the sweet spot to maintain saftey over time.

The 03/04 cobra stock is actually over 400hp, they dyno about 360/360 stock which is way over the est 390 from the factory. They are just heavy, 3660lbs for coupe and 3780 for vert.... and front end heavy with cast iron block and supercharger weight along with IRS rear end weight.

For a simple pulley swap, intake, exhaust expect 450-470rwhp over the stock 360 when going to a 2.93 pulley vs 3.65 stock supercharger pulley (8psi to 12-14). Most do not require any other mods (other than the tune required) for this, some may need maf or a fuel pump boost.... but thats usually reserved for more than the 2.93 pulley swap.

They suffer from wheel hop, but lower springs (stiffer ones) and such with sticky and bigger tires fix most of this. The bushings are crap for the IRS so swaping to delrin helps a ton here to clean up the slop of the IRS, but the ride is good :)

The sound of the stock eaton m112 supercharger when you get on it is enough for most, also check my sig for my dyno... they make CRAZY tq down low and all the way across the power band :) that = fun.

Finally they are 6 speeds vs 5 speed mach 1's and will hold their value better over time I feel..... and the motors were hand built on the niche line at ford by two builders who stamp the valve cover, not so on the mach or previous cobras.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the advantage in easy hp/tq is the key here. The 03/04 cobra will take 600rwhp daily and be fine, more will also be attainable (without going into the motor at all) but most say 600-650 is the sweet spot to maintain saftey over time.

The 03/04 cobra stock is actually over 400hp, they dyno about 360/360 stock which is way over the est 390 from the factory. They are just heavy, 3660lbs for coupe and 3780 for vert.... and front end heavy with cast iron block and supercharger weight along with IRS rear end weight.

For a simple pulley swap, intake, exhaust expect 450-470rwhp over the stock 360 when going to a 2.93 pulley vs 3.65 stock supercharger pulley (8psi to 12-14). Most do not require any other mods (other than the tune required) for this, some may need maf or a fuel pump boost.... but thats usually reserved for more than the 2.93 pulley swap.

They suffer from wheel hop, but lower springs (stiffer ones) and such with sticky and bigger tires fix most of this. The bushings are crap for the IRS so swaping to delrin helps a ton here to clean up the slop of the IRS, but the ride is good :)

The sound of the stock eaton m112 supercharger when you get on it is enough for most, also check my sig for my dyno... they make CRAZY tq down low and all the way across the power band :) that = fun.

Finally they are 6 speeds vs 5 speed mach 1's and will hold their value better over time I feel..... and the motors were hand built on the niche line at ford by two builders who stamp the valve cover, not so on the mach or previous cobras.
Well that was a lot of information hahahaha what about luxury and interior? Obviously Im not going to be buying either car because I love luxury but how would the interior differ?

·
Premium Member
19,573 Posts
Michaelgranlund said:
Well that was a lot of information hahahaha what about luxury and interior? Obviously Im not going to be buying either car because I love luxury but how would the interior differ?
The factory 03/04 cobra seats are by far the best seats ever put in a mustang. The new leather recaro's are a close second.

They also aren't suede, they are alcantera and the leather is much better quality than the other models.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts