Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I have a 2004 40th anniversary GT. Im building it from the ground out with limited funding haha. I've got a lot done to the car visually and performance wise and I'm ready to go to the next step. Currently I have:

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Sports car Coupé

BBK tuned length headers
BBK off road X pipe
SlP loudmouth exhaust
K&N cold air intake
And Bama performance tuned.

My Next 2 mods are going to be gears and cams.

Unfortunately when buying this car I couldn't pass up the deal to buy a complete stock unmolested car with 30k miles. It has an automatic transmission. Which I can't complain about on my 40 minute commute.

Back to my main questions

1- In an auto 4.10 vs 3.73? I'm definitely leaning 4.10 but I want other opinions.

2- what are the best cams to get that will install right in without having to get other parts like a stall converter or springs. I don't have the money currently for all that so I'm looking for the best sounding and best power adding cam. In an auto without having to purchase other expensive parts.

Thanks a lot!
Will.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
First off welcome and beautiful car man and with your gears question I would go with the 4.10 with the auto and I know a lot of guys on here use the comp cams but i really don't know about the install on them but they are wicked expensive there like 600 bucks I hope this helped

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I mean cheap i don't mean the cams themselves. I'm looking to spend around $500-800 on them. I just don't have another $100 for a stall converter.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

$1000*

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Your car looks great! Have you considered lowering it? I have no recommendations for cams, but I'd go 4.10's for gears.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Nice car and welcome. Im guessing from your tag your from Dallas? I used to run with the ricekiller group when it was being made years ago, Jared is quite the clown. Down to buisness..

For an auto car you need the higher gear ratio of the 410s to properly compliment an aftermarket cam. Even if you wernt doing cams I would still recommend the 410s for your auto equiped stang even with your 40 minute commute. After cam selection the next large benifit your car will receive is a torque converter, you want your torque converters stall speed 200rpm below your peek torque level for maximum launching ability which means youll need a dyno run before ordering your stall. Because funds are limited and may not be able to buy a custom converter get the closest stall speed you can without going over your peek torque rpm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And nope I'm from Philadelphia haha just liked the name :) had it as my email address even before I bought my mustang haha.

And yeah definitely going with the ford racing 4.10s and I'm looking at this cam. Opinions? Know any better ones?

Comp Cams Stage I Xtreme Energy XE262AH Camshafts

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

Definitely no nitrous. Might get procharged somewhere down the road but not in the near future.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You know for the range of money your planning to spend you have alot of performance options can I talk you into doing to bolt ons that would allow you to run a better performing cam next time you get some money? I wont steer you wrong.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Well you can do a cam now that works with your almost stock engine and get barely any benifit other than the cool lope sound everyone wants. Or you can do some modifications to your car first that would not only be easier but would also give you better performance for the money than going straight to bolting on a cam. Then after the few bolt ons are done an even better cam can be used and save you money in the long run by not buying parts twice.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Do a 78mm BBK throttle body with upper plenum, I recommend these parts when boost is going to be used in the future. A 80mm mass air of your choice. 410s. And 3000rpm stall of your choice. Then you can go to the N-22 cam and see good gains. And then when you go boosted choosing your next cam is as simple as switching over to andersons F-42 cam.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Let me see what I can do to find you a cheaper stall. The aftermarket stall plays a big part in your automatics capability and will give you greatly improved performance in the form of acceleration. More performance than a set of cams for your stock engine.

·
AmericanMuscle.com
2,866 Posts
Welcome to MustangEvolution! I Recognize that car, Looking great as always man. You'll meet a lot of great people and find a ton of awesome reads on this forum, let me know if you ever need some assistance!

My .02 on the gears is go with 4.10's, don't fear the gear!

-Dan

·
Registered
555 Posts
I would get the tci 3000rpm street fighter stall. Its $800 I know but the difference is night and day. Add the stall with your new 410s and eibach suspension system and you wont regret it. I cant think of a better way to add performance for $800 without using nitrous.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts