Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, my son is across the country and has a 2004 Mustang v-6. He let the car sit for months put a new battery in it. Now it cranks and won't start. The inertia switch is not tripped. He replaced the fuel relay module in the trunk. He can't hear the fuel pump come on. Any suggestions fuses are good. Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Can he take a video while trying to start the car? There are a lot of things that can cause a no start issue.

If the engine is not trying to fire at all my first suspect would be fuel delivery. This can be due to a bad copy of the PATs encoded key, a clogged fuel rail, clogged fuel filter, or dead fuel pump.

Test the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. If you have pressure then you can rule that out and begin looking at the ignition. If you have fuel and the engine is not sputtering you could have a bad fuse, or a bad PCM.

I know this is a broad spectrum, but you need to start somewhere.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
For some reason I cannot get the video to play on my phone. I will have to take a look on the laptop in a little while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well apparently the video will not load. What I have found out so far is the fuel pump comes on. The car has spark. I had my son get a fuel pressure tool. I see the electric fuel pressure regulator is that where he tests it. I have only seen the ones with a schrader valve.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Ok so I watched a couple of videos. When he cranks over the engine shouldn't the tach jump a little?
I doubt you will see the tach move until the key is in the on position, not start.

There should be a Schrader valve on the fuel rail.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I doubt you will see the tach move until the key is in the on position, not start.

There should be a Schrader valve on the fuel rail.
Sadly, the 04's don't have one. Not sure who's brilliant idea that was.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
70 Posts
Take out the fuel pump relay and start the engine to burn off fuel until it stalls

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
70 Posts
And for the fuel injectors are you talking about how much fuel each injector is putting out? You can do that using a good scan tool that can turn one injector on at a time. Whole watching a the pressure drop for each one. This only tests the volume, not the spray pattern though . If they are not balanced it will lost likely still run just not well. When an engine won't start you really want to test for injector "pulse " using a mechanic's stethoscope or screw driver to listen for a "clicking " sound on each cylinder's injector. So you know the pcm , injectors, crank sensor and wiring are not the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

1 - 17 of 17 Posts