Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering if anyone could put in their input on what upgrades I should get next to improve my performance because after looking on AM for a bit I'm not sure what's the best thing to get next. I have:
Flow master exhaust.
BBK cold air intake
Msd coil pack and spark plug wires
NGK iridium spark plugs
BBK throttle body
A Bama custom tuner

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

Additionally it is a 3.9L automatic transmission. I clean the fuel injectors regularly too.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
just get an 8.8 rear...you'll get both tires spinning that way. might even get lucky and find one with gears. if not they come stock 99-04 with 3:27s so its a direct bolt on..no need for a speedo recalibration

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'd drop the throttle body unless your going to go with a turbo or blower. Tuner, CAI and a full exhaust are definatly on my list. Little bit of every area with those. You get visual/engine dress-up, performance and some BA sound

·
Registered
51 Posts
You actually might have to get a speedo recal. I had a GT rear put in my '98, and the speedo is always 10 off. But I don't know if the newer v6's had the 2.73 like my v6 did, lol.

·
Registered
502 Posts
On 99-04 models the computer calibrates the speedo electronically. On 98 and older they use gears to change the calibration of the speedo. Also in 94-98 GT's had the option to come with 3.08 gears instead of 2.73

·
AmericanMuscle.com
2,878 Posts
I'm just wondering if anyone could put in their input on what upgrades I should get next to improve my performance because after looking on AM for a bit I'm not sure what's the best thing to get next. I have:
Flow master exhaust.
BBK cold air intake
NGK iridium spark plugs
BBK throttle body
A Bama custom tuner

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

Additionally it is a 3.9L automatic transmission. I clean the fuel injectors regularly too.
PRoss,

Everything being tossed around will definitely be a good upgrade. I would probably go with gears if this was my car. Those will be the most beneficial in fun department!

Since it's automatic you could go with 4.10s if you wanted to!

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions or need any assistance. Keep up the great work with your build!

-Dan

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AMDanBailer said:
PRoss,

Everything being tossed around will definitely be a good upgrade. I would probably go with gears if this was my car. Those will be the most beneficial in fun department!

Since it's automatic you could go with 4.10s if you wanted to!

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions or need any assistance. Keep up the great work with your build!

-Dan
On American muscle they have the 4.10 gears but it says you should get a speedo recalibration. Is that true? Also do they gears hurt mpg?

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
most all upgrades dont do anything or do very very little for the 3.8L engines.

Underdrive pulleys
CAI
dual 2.25 in pipe catback exhaust
Tune
Gears/Tlok
Alum DS

Thats about it until you start looking at porting the intakes or heads etc~ other stuff other than that really doesnt do anything :(

Gears are the best bang for the buck, but you have 3.27's stock so 3.73 wont really make a HUGE difference, but should be noticable (.25 quicker)

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
On American muscle they have the 4.10 gears but it says you should get a speedo recalibration. Is that true? Also do they gears hurt mpg?
yes you will need a recalibration...and being an auto you really don't want to run without one :good:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm getting mixed replies with some people saying I need a recalibration for the speed pans others saying the computers in 04's do it by themselves.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree, you will need a recal. Your rear end isn't gonna know if you switch up the gear ratio, there's no sensors back there or anything.

But if you just decide to do an 8.8 swap, they have 3.27's in them. And your best bet would be a junkyard!

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
one upgrade you could do isn't performance but it's a huge visual punch...

i just painted my mach chin today to match the car...i like the new look :headbang:

before...

after...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright thanks I think I'll get the gears off AM especially if they go on sale for Black Friday. Of course 250-300 bucks seems like a **** ton

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

PRoss.20 said:
Alright thanks I think I'll get the gears off AM especially if they go on sale for Black Friday. Of course 250-300 bucks seems like a **** ton
For installation not the gears

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Flow master exhaust.
BBK cold air intake
NGK iridium spark plugs
BBK throttle body
A Bama custom tuner

Nice list IMHO I'd drop the plugs (unless you really need them),coil pack and TB off the wish list

Exhaust,CAI,gears and tuner are your best option, with the tuner they can correct for gears( go 4:10) the tune will also beef up your shifts points and put a smile on your face. I had mine tuned by VMP and it worth ever penny

·
Registered
48 Posts
Flow master exhaust.
BBK cold air intake
NGK iridium spark plugs
BBK throttle body
A Bama custom tuner

Is your flowmaster exhaust catback, axleback, what? If it is incomplete, I would complete it all the way up to the engine with some long tubes and some high flows. If you live in a state that does 0 emissions testing, then by all means go catless but the sound is raspier and annoying to many.

First off, something you can do for free is to go back to your stock throttle body size. I have seen many people examine tb's and spacers and find that upgrading these on an otherwise stock v6 actually hurts performance a slight bit.

Gears and Tlok should hands down be your next step. Most people reccommend 3.73's for a dd, but some prefer 4.10's on the automatic transmissions. If you are using a tuner, your transmission should be moving power somewhat better than stock anyways, so I don't think it matters. Use your tuner to recalibrate for the new gears when you get your car back. Come back and talk about how awesome it was.

Then I would look at upgrading your front sway bar and adding one to the rear. You can buy them as a pair usually, or as part of a suspension kit. Doing the rear upper and lower control arms also improves handling and gives you significantly better launch, and lightens your car. Lose even more wight by getting tubular control arms up front, and/or tubular k member. The flaming river steering racks can give you more precise turning and weigh less than stock, but they usually don't tell you that you also have to buy the couplings/install kit that costs more than the steering rack it's-self. In any event, losing weight is just about as good as adding power.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts