Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Maltik said:
Can someone explain to me y a 2012 v6 has more hp then my 2008 gt??
Because you haven't put on a supercharger yet...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about that but I have to wait cuz I just got my 08 gt yesterday. Think an 08 with 86k miles on it worth $14990?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,052 Posts
its simple, the 3.7L is a better designed motor, its better at making power~ simple as that. it has better tech in it so the end result is more power. Why on earth would a 302CI motor from back in 93 only have 205hp when a 4.6L in 2008 have 300. Its just what happens with better developments and better designs.

Its not all about hp, there are MANY other factors such as the power and tq curve vs just peak. My 2012 is fine, feels peppy, but its by no means the same to me as driving a 300hp 4.6L GT regardless. Its all top end vs through the entire curve.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
510 Posts
SpectorV said:
its simple, the 3.7L is a better designed motor, its better at making power~ simple as that. it has better tech in it so the end result is more power. Why on earth would a 302CI motor from back in 93 only have 205hp when a 4.6L in 2008 have 300. Its just what happens with better developments and better designs.

Its not all about hp, there are MANY other factors such as the power and tq curve vs just peak. My 2012 is fine, feels peppy, but its by no means the same to me as driving a 300hp 4.6L GT regardless. Its all top end vs through the entire curve.
Well said. Way to ruin any future posts by the rest of us lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
SpectorV said:
N/A 4.6L's dont really have a ton of low end tq :( lol
40 more than the 3.7. But yeah its more efficient than the 4.6 to answer the OP. I would take the GT any day over the 6. I made that decision a year ago. Lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,798 Posts
SpectorV said:
its simple, the 3.7L is a better designed motor, its better at making power~ simple as that. it has better tech in it so the end result is more power. Why on earth would a 302CI motor from back in 93 only have 205hp when a 4.6L in 2008 have 300. Its just what happens with better developments and better designs.

Its not all about hp, there are MANY other factors such as the power and tq curve vs just peak. My 2012 is fine, feels peppy, but its by no means the same to me as driving a 300hp 4.6L GT regardless. Its all top end vs through the entire curve.
Well said. Stock vs stock and mod for mod the GT should come out on top I would think though? The new 6's are pretty quick though. Stock they're high 13's - low 14's with a decent driver. Not sure what the 4.6's run? Were just starting to see some "bolt-on" 3.7's break into the 12's which is pretty good I think. I think that's with gears, exhaust, intake, tune and slicks if I remember right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,653 Posts
Maltik said:
Can someone explain to me y a 2012 v6 has more hp then my 2008 gt??
Because Ford rocks out the 11 plus v6 thats awesome.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

MavyMav said:
40 more than the 3.7. But yeah its more efficient than the 4.6 to answer the OP. I would take the GT any day over the 6. I made that decision a year ago. Lol
With a sct bama race tune and cold air intake one can make up the 40 torque in the 11 plus v6. All for around 600 bucks. The 08 Gt also comes with higher stock gears than the 11 plus v6 which are 2:73 gears. All equal with same gears in both years the 12 v6 is even.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
2011 Kona Blue said:
Because Ford rocks out the 11 plus v6 thats awesome.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------



With a sct bama race tune and cold air intake one can make up the 40 torque in the 11 plus v6. All for around 600 bucks. The 08 Gt also comes with higher stock gears than the 11 plus v6 which are 2:73 gears. All equal with same gears in both years the 12 v6 is even.
But you can make that much more in a GT with the same cash. Mod for mod the GT will take it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,653 Posts
MavyMav said:
But you can make that much more in a GT with the same cash. Mod for mod the GT will take it.
Totally agree sir, mod for mod, the 08 Gt takes it with the 40 more torque and 5 less HP than the 11 plus V6. My guess would be about 2 to 3 tents faster than the 11 plus v6 with same equal driver.

I think its very respectable that the 11 plus V6 can do 0-60 in 5.5 seconds or less, stock with upgraded 3:31 gears and stock tires. Not bad for a car under 23k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
2011 Kona Blue said:
Totally agree sir, mod for mod, the 08 Gt takes it with the 40 more torque and 5 less HP than the 11 plus V6. My guess would be about 2 to 3 tents faster than the 11 plus v6 with same equal driver.
There is nothing wrong with the 6. I like it i just liked the GT better. OP, dont be discouraged about it. You wont regret your purchase. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,653 Posts
Maltik said:
Can someone explain to me y a 2012 v6 has more hp then my 2008 gt??
The 11 plus V6 was a break though model engine design for Ford and they out did themselves. With just 10 HP less and 40 less torque than previous V8, GT models is remarkable. Then throw in the cost of 7k less than those previous GT models is insane but Ford is awesome. For around 1,200 dollars one can purchase a sct bama tuner, airaid cold air intake, purchase and install 3:55 or 3:73 gears and still cost 5,500 less than the stock previous year GT's all while making up the 40 torque and pushing 325 HP. That's totally sick yet Ford stepped up to the plate and made a killer V6 stang that's no longer a joke when it comes to power and performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
2011 Kona Blue said:
Because Ford rocks out the 11 plus v6 thats awesome.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------



With a sct bama race tune and cold air intake one can make up the 40 torque in the 11 plus v6. All for around 600 bucks. The 08 Gt also comes with higher stock gears than the 11 plus v6 which are 2:73 gears. All equal with same gears in both years the 12 v6 is even.
Put the same mods on the 08 GT and you'll have more fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,653 Posts
I can see why some GT owners may have sour grapes when it comes to the 11 plus V6 models. For an example, I would be sour if I spent around 30k to buy a 2015 5.0 that had 450 HP and six months later the new 2016 V6 had 440 HP and was 7k less. I could see how that would $uck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,052 Posts
40 more than the 3.7. But yeah its more efficient than the 4.6 to answer the OP. I would take the GT any day over the 6. I made that decision a year ago. Lol
Without a doubt, im not talking about V6 vs V8 here. I just mean the N/A 4.6L lacks bottom end compared to other V8's. I am spoiled with my Cobra having a positive displacement blower and putting out 600ftlbs in the 3k rpm range. I get instant hp/tq down low and its much different than the N/A 4.6. Thats all I meant, while it does have TQ it just doesnt pack the punch down low that I want, which is what I also dont care for in the 3.7L :( you can however tell a major difference in the mid range on the 4.6L vs the 3.7L which doesnt start to show up until 4k rpms or more.


But you can make that much more in a GT with the same cash. Mod for mod the GT will take it.
Well said. Stock vs stock and mod for mod the GT should come out on top I would think though? The new 6's are pretty quick though. Stock they're high 13's - low 14's with a decent driver. Not sure what the 4.6's run? Were just starting to see some "bolt-on" 3.7's break into the 12's which is pretty good I think. I think that's with gears, exhaust, intake, tune and slicks if I remember right.
Totally agree sir, mod for mod, the 08 Gt takes it with the 40 more torque and 5 less HP than the 11 plus V6. My guess would be about 2 to 3 tents faster than the 11 plus v6 with same equal driver.

I think its very respectable that the 11 plus V6 can do 0-60 in 5.5 seconds or less, stock with upgraded 3:31 gears and stock tires. Not bad for a car under 23k.
Put the same mods on the 08 GT and you'll have more fun.
its all an opinion, but generally speaking you get MORE for your money per mod on a bigger CI motor~ thats just generally how it works. I wouldnt say the V6 is less fun than the V8 though. Both designs seem to have good boost in power from the same basic mods. Stock for stock I give the edge to the GT of course but its not by a landslide like it used to be. The V6's are finally catching up a bit~ but they still are not close enough. I would personally always choose the V8 over the V6 for the fun factor, but the lines are much closer than they used to be.

Everyone always starts saying "mod the V6 and beat the V8 for the money saved" or visa versa. In the end its just a choice based on many countless factors. No one way is the right way, just because it is for some does not mean it is for everyone. The bottom line is enjoy it, have fun with it, respect those regardless of what they drive and they are ALL Mustangs :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
SpectorV said:
Without a doubt, im not talking about V6 vs V8 here. I just mean the N/A 4.6L lacks bottom end compared to other V8's. I am spoiled with my Cobra having a positive displacement blower and putting out 600ftlbs in the 3k rpm range. I get instant hp/tq down low and its much different than the N/A 4.6. Thats all I meant, while it does have TQ it just doesnt pack the punch down low that I want, which is what I also dont care for in the 3.7L :( you can however tell a major difference in the mid range on the 4.6L vs the 3.7L which doesnt start to show up until 4k rpms or more.

its all an opinion, but generally speaking you get MORE for your money per mod on a bigger CI motor~ thats just generally how it works. I wouldnt say the V6 is less fun than the V8 though. Both designs seem to have good boost in power from the same basic mods. Stock for stock I give the edge to the GT of course but its not by a landslide like it used to be. The V6's are finally catching up a bit~ but they still are not close enough. I would personally always choose the V8 over the V6 for the fun factor, but the lines are much closer than they used to be.

Everyone always starts saying "mod the V6 and beat the V8 for the money saved" or visa versa. In the end its just a choice based on many countless factors. No one way is the right way, just because it is for some does not mean it is for everyone. The bottom line is enjoy it, have fun with it, respect those regardless of what they drive and they are ALL Mustangs :)
I completely agree. BTW I envy you and your Cobra. The termis are my most favorite models and the only new edge design i like. The front and the rear with no spoiler are just awesome. And dont get me started on the engine....amazing.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top