Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my dad just bought me a 2010 mustang gt. I was hoping for a 2011 5.0 but oh well its still a nice ass car. it just has kinda low hp/toque and i was wondering what are the best ways to boost it up i want it closer to 400 or up. what is the best and cheapest ways i could do that? Thanks. It means alot dont be shy

·
Registered
517 Posts
Post this in the 05-09 section for specifics. U have the middle child there, new skin old heart.

Anyway, CAI, full exhaust with an H pipe and a tune. Probably best bang for your buck

·
Registered
525 Posts
nitrious,,probably the cheapest,,im saving to supercharge myself..A tune and a set of 373 gears will help alot..Thats probably in the 500 dollar range,,if you set up the gears yourself,,and a little more for someone to set it up..Then maybe a CAI,and a larger throttle body..That will let you catch up with a stock 5.0,,i think..Theres alot of potential for the 4.6

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Post this in the 05-09 section for specifics. U have the middle child there, new skin old heart.

Anyway, CAI, full exhaust with an H pipe and a tune. Probably best bang for your buck
I dont care for the new skin,,but i love that 5.0..We have the govt fleet 5.0 in our trucks and they will fly

·
Registered
256 Posts
You will get some pretty good power from a spray kit, just be careful you don't over do it, if you start to go over 450 hp your going to strain your internals. I have a 10 and I love mine, that 4.6 is a pretty solid engine and has good potential. Congrats on your new stang.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It just depends on how much you want to spend because the more power you make the more you need to upgrade. I have modified mine so much its not really a 2010 anymore lol. I make over 500hp/tq with many many mods. So its just a matter of how much you are willing to spend?

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts

Actually, he did post in the right section. :)

But, what you say is true. To find out what's best for the 3v 4.6L, you should take a look in the 2005-2009 section for engine modding tips. :good:

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Azure said:
Actually, he did post in the right section. :)

But, what you say is true. To find out what's best for the 3v 4.6L, you should take a look in the 2005-2009 section for engine modding tips. :good:
The only info of value for a 2010 owner here is appearance mods. In 2011 the engine, subframe, transmission, driveshaft, springs, struts, strut mounts, brakes, and power steering assemblies were all replaced. There are probably more things that I'm leaving off this list, but about the only thing the 10 and 11 have in common (mechanically) is the solid rear axle.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well there are guys with 2010's in here that have done some heavy mods like myself so if he would like to know anything then I would be more then happy to explain what I've done with mine!

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
The only info of value for a 2010 owner here is appearance mods. In 2011 the engine, subframe, transmission, driveshaft, springs, struts, strut mounts, brakes, and power steering assemblies were all replaced. There are probably more things that I'm leaving off this list, but about the only thing the 10 and 11 have in common (mechanically) is the solid rear axle.
True. Be that as it may, OP's post is in the right section. I'm not sure why we our sectioned that way given the differences, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Azure said:
True. Be that as it may, OP's post is in the right section. I'm not sure why we our sectioned that way given the differences, but it is what it is.
That's a can of worms that you don't want to open... trust me. We weren't saying the OP was in the wrong section, just making sure he can get the help he needs. Many of us here aren't too familiar with the 3V platform.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well there are guys with 2010's in here that have done some heavy mods like myself so if he would like to know anything then I would be more then happy to explain what I've done with mine!
Thank you. yeah i really was looking for a 400+ range for my mustang and i am just about to turn 18, so not alot of cash. so any advise would be very helpful. and im sorry if i sound stupid, it is my first car that i wan to mess with anything but sound system and looks. so your advice would be very helpful. i just love fast cars and i wanna get into upgraded the performance now. so since you know what to do on the 2010.....ideas ahah?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Thank you. yeah i really was looking for a 400+ range for my mustang and i am just about to turn 18, so not alot of cash. so any advise would be very helpful. and im sorry if i sound stupid, it is my first car that i wan to mess with anything but sound system and looks. so your advice would be very helpful. i just love fast cars and i wanna get into upgraded the performance now. so since you know what to do on the 2010.....ideas ahah?
If you're new to modding cars, the first thing you need to do is get a tune from a tuner that is great to work with like American Muscle. Then get some wider wheels with better tires, that will give you a taste of what's to come. After that you can work on the big stuff like gears, UDP (underdrive pulley), suspension, and maybe even a supercharger down the road.

Take my advice and dip into this slowly, especially if this is your daily driver. It's worth taking your time to learn what you are doing, and not having to learn by breaking your car on Sunday night when you needed to drive it to work on Monday morning.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
If you're new to modding cars, the first thing you need to do is get a tune from a tuner that is great to work with like American Muscle. Then get some wider wheels with better tires, that will give you a taste of what's to come. After that you can work on the big stuff like gears, UDP (underdrive pulley), suspension, and maybe even a supercharger down the road.

Take my advice and dip into this slowly, especially if this is your daily driver. It's worth taking your time to learn what you are doing, and not having to learn by breaking your car on Sunday night when you needed to drive it to work on Monday morning.
+1 By learning as much as possible can save you some money so you waste it on useless mods. :good:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

what if i was to take it to a shop or something like another person working on it what else would u do? just seeing my options

·
Loc: Austin,TX
5,980 Posts
Full exhaust,tune and CAI is gonna get you right around 300RWHP give or take. Throw some cams and a dyno tune and you could see 360.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
what if i was to take it to a shop or something like another person working on it what else would u do? just seeing my options
I would do it myself, but that's me. I can't stand the thought of other people messing with my car. I hate having to take it in for an alignment since I don't have the equipment to do it myself. Hell, I put my car up on jack stands and took my mechanic the spring/strut assembly and new springs and had him change them out, rather than having the springs installed myself.

I guess you could say I'm a Do-It-Yourselfer... I like being able to show people my car and tell them that "I built that."

But, if you don't mind paying someone else to do the work than it's a good option. Just make sure you know what you are getting into. There are a lot of expensive and labor intensive parts that shops would love to sell you that provide small gains. Be informed and don't get ripped off.

·
Registered
455 Posts
kwa94 said:
Well first I do agree the first thing is cold air intake and tuner package this way you have the programmer for future mods. I would then suggest better gears maybe 3.73 or 4.10 if you want a snappy car to mess around with. With new gears I would put in a eaton differential along with a ford racing or TA performance differential cover/girdle. This way you don't have to dig into the rear end again unless you put upgraded axles in. Then I would maybe put a short shifter in or if its an auto then look into a torque converter with a 2800 or 3,000 stall. I would build the rear end, I learned the hard way a few weeks ago already lol but after all that is done then look into cams and maybe a supercharger but if you plan on getting a supercharger wait on the cams cause you will want a blower grind cam. I wouldn't recommend getting underdrive pullies unless you plan to stay NA then you could I guess? But just know 450hp is pretty much your max when it comes to the stock internals. So just get a tuner and cold air intake and then build your car from rear to front and you will have a fun car and a beast when you are done!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.