Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in an effort to avoid derailing any other threads with this question, I decided to start one. I thought it may be useful to have a thread where people can post a deal and have others comment on an acceptable price point, negotiating tips, what to use as a leveraging tool, etc.

I'm in the market for a 2011-2013 v6 m6 with reasonable mileage (so I know it wasn't abused mainly).

I've come across a handful of deals, but none that blow me away. I'm not sure if it's because I'm cheap, mustangs hold their values, or simply inflated pricing.

Here's the links (I hope the mods dont mind):
Let me know what you think would be a good deal and a price that I should stick to. I'll be trading in my 08' Chevy Equinox LT with 65k miles (good condition) which has about 4k paid off (worth 12k trade in)

2012 v6 $18,750 w/ 16k miles
Cars for Sale: 2012 Ford Mustang Coupe in New Rochelle, NY 10801: Coupe Details - 338617694 - AutoTrader.com

2012 v6 premium $22,990 w/ 2627 miles
Staten Island, NY 2012 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Certified Coupe near New York, NY Newark, NJ Dana Motors Ltd

2011 v6 $20,401 w/ 19k miles
Cars for Sale: 2011 Ford Mustang Coupe in Edison, NJ 08817: Coupe Details - 326946304 - AutoTrader.com

Thanks everyone, and I hope this thread helps out anyone else in the market for something similar.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
So in an effort to avoid derailing any other threads with this question, I decided to start one. I thought it may be useful to have a thread where people can post a deal and have others comment on an acceptable price point, negotiating tips, what to use as a leveraging tool, etc.

I'm in the market for a 2011-2013 v6 m6 with reasonable mileage (so I know it wasn't abused mainly).

I've come across a handful of deals, but none that blow me away. I'm not sure if it's because I'm cheap, mustangs hold their values, or simply inflated pricing.

Here's the links (I hope the mods dont mind):
Let me know what you think would be a good deal and a price that I should stick to. I'll be trading in my 08' Chevy Equinox LT with 65k miles (good condition) which has about 4k paid off (worth 12k trade in)

2012 v6 $18,750 w/ 16k miles
Cars for Sale: 2012 Ford Mustang Coupe in New Rochelle, NY 10801: Coupe Details - 338617694 - AutoTrader.com

2012 v6 premium $22,990 w/ 2627 miles
Staten Island, NY 2012 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Certified Coupe near New York, NY Newark, NJ Dana Motors Ltd

2011 v6 $20,401 w/ 19k miles
Cars for Sale: 2011 Ford Mustang Coupe in Edison, NJ 08817: Coupe Details - 326946304 - AutoTrader.com

Thanks everyone, and I hope this thread helps out anyone else in the market for something similar.
When buying or selling a car, I always have the car with options appraised at
http://www.edmunds.com/

Interestingly my 2013 appraises for more than when I bought it new.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
I picked up my 2012 new for a reasonable price.

I knew invoice, and wanted to pay it. They had rebates that were good at the time so I was happy with that (1000) and I had a 750 coupon through force (request a brochure and sometimes they include them in it when you get one go to ford.com to request one)

I had two dealers with the same car each quote me (I had the quote put in writing itemized with full detail! Most dealers REQUIRE this before they price match). This saved me 200.00 EASY.

Buy at the end of the month when they are meeting quotas

Know when rebates expire/change and buy when you fee they are good

Know invoice, know dealer rebates, and also know customer rebates. Dealer rebates are rebates the DEALER gets that you dont know about when they sell the car, they generally will not mention these or pretend they dont exist. Most dont like you to mention them, but know about them so you know that they have more wiggle room than they are letting on.

Ordering a car is generally easier than having one shipped negotiation wise since the dealer the car transfers from gets credit/rebates etc on it.

Making them spend a ton of time with you helping you makes them more ready to get you a good deal. Once you have them investing a chunk of time on you they want to get something out of it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up my 2012 new for a reasonable price.

I knew invoice, and wanted to pay it. They had rebates that were good at the time so I was happy with that (1000) and I had a 750 coupon through force (request a brochure and sometimes they include them in it when you get one go to ford.com to request one)

I had two dealers with the same car each quote me (I had the quote put in writing itemized with full detail! Most dealers REQUIRE this before they price match). This saved me 200.00 EASY.

Buy at the end of the month when they are meeting quotas

Know when rebates expire/change and buy when you fee they are good

Know invoice, know dealer rebates, and also know customer rebates. Dealer rebates are rebates the DEALER gets that you dont know about when they sell the car, they generally will not mention these or pretend they dont exist. Most dont like you to mention them, but know about them so you know that they have more wiggle room than they are letting on.

Ordering a car is generally easier than having one shipped negotiation wise since the dealer the car transfers from gets credit/rebates etc on it.

Making them spend a ton of time with you helping you makes them more ready to get you a good deal. Once you have them investing a chunk of time on you they want to get something out of it.

Thanks so much for this Spector!

Are the rebates available apply to used cars? (I.E. 2012 with 2k miles?) If not, this makes me think I can get something new for a grand or two more once all is said and done.

Any suggestions for sites to check on current rebates and when they expire/change like you mentioned?

I'll definitely order a brochue today, and how about finding out invoice? Did you simply ask the salesmen you were working withat?

Thanks again, really helps a lot. Trying to prepare to start chipping away at a good deal this weekend, with a purchase ideally towards the end of the month.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got mine during an end of year sale which I inadvertently stumbled on when I was at the dealer. I got $500 of for being active duty military but I got $3000 off because of the end of year blowout and didn't need to pay taxes on top of that.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got mine during an end of year sale which I inadvertently stumbled on when I was at the dealer. I got $500 of for being active duty military but I got $3000 off because of the end of year blowout and didn't need to pay taxes on top of that.
Damn that sounds awesome. Sucks its February lol

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I got a deal on mine because I wanted a red one & they only had a blue & gray one there so the supervisor told me if I get the one they had there he would knock off like 2k so I took it!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
[and how about finding out invoice? ]

Edmunds.com new car quotes will show all this info, invoice, rebates etc. By The Way customer rebates are by zip code. The rebates when I bought my car were $500 more in Indiana than Ohio.

Boss 302 2dr Car5.0L V8 RWD 6-speed Manual Invoice $38,930 MSRP $42,200
Employee price at Chevy for example is lower than dealer invoice.
Ford has partner plans that get you the deal negociated for you up front. Find out where you work, or where your parents work if they have a Ford partner plan.

I bought my 2008 Chevy Truck in Nov. 2008 when they had 40 of them on the lot and none were selling with gas at $4.85 a gallon. I got a $36,995 truck for $22,995, they sold it at a loss. I don't think we will see those days of deals like that again, but teaches the laws of economics; supply and demand.. .But that wasn't effecting Sport car prices. Mustang and Dodge would not budge on their prices, as demand by folks with money was still there on the sports cars.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Here is a good site for buying a car. They have an excellent spreadsheet that you can download. With a little information from the dealer you can figure out the entire price, especially the profit the dealer makes. Or as is some cases, rebuff the dealer's claim that he isn't making any money at all. You can also information about some of the things that dealers try to hide or sneak by you.

Car Buying Guide for New and Used Vehicles | CarBuyingtips.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
Below is the email with a quote that I eventually went with:

Hi Steve,

2014 Mustang V6 Premium/all equipment below:

MSRP $32205

EPrice $29343 ($200 over invoice less $1000 rebate)

Please advise any questions and thanks.

I think there were some regional fees also thrown into that EPrice. I emailed several dealers. They were all within a couple hundred bucks of each other. Didn't really feel like haggling, so I made my decision within days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got my 2013 V6 premium for $23, 900. 1.9% interest. Had offers from many different ford dealers but this was the best offer I got by far. Some dealers were trying to get me the basic v6 for the same price

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am working on a basic v6 coupe 2013 for $19k OTD.

That is a deal I can sleep with, they're also giving me $12k for my 08 equinox.

Should be pretty easily financed. Drove it today and gave me such adrenaline, amazing.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Best to sell your old car privately. You get a great deal on the car your buying, but you get screwed on the trade in.
I paid $13.3 a few months ago and still owe about 10.3 on it, I am taking a 1k-1200 hit if you count the mileage I put on. Dont have a ton of time to wait to sell it privately.

Its losing value as I drive it more, plus the 19mpg is killing me. Not a bad thought though...just not sure it'd sell in a reasonable time frame.

·
Registered
730 Posts
12k for an 08 equinox from a dealer is pretty good! Canada sucks for buying a car! When I hear about the prices you guy's get on new cars it makes me want to pull my hair out! Bought my 13 new and paid almost 4k in f'in tax! On top of that its law in Quebec That you need winter tires so there's another 800-1k in tires and steel rims for the winter! Almost 5k and havnt started paying for the actual car yet! God bless the u.s.a! Lol

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
12k for an 08 equinox from a dealer is pretty good! Canada sucks for buying a car! When I hear about the prices you guy's get on new cars it makes me want to pull my hair out! Bought my 13 new and paid almost 4k in f'in tax! On top of that its law in Quebec That you need winter tires so there's another 800-1k in tires and steel rims for the winter! Almost 5k and havnt started paying for the actual car yet! God bless the u.s.a! Lol
Wow that's tough man... But at the end of the day you still made it work !

It handles ok with the winter tires ? That's my one worry I am still dealing with.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts