Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 with the shaker 500. I added a 5 channel amp, a sub and replaced the 4 speakers. Had them professionally installed at best buy. Since they were installed, I've had issues with the front speakers coming in and out and crackling at times. It started with the passenger front speaker coming in and out intermittently and has progressively gotten worse, now including both front speakers. For while if I would turn the volume way up, it seemed to grab the signal and then both speakers would kick in. Over the past few months however, the problem has gotten progressively worse and that doesn't seem to help at all and now both front speakers will come in and out and get static with no rhyme or reason. Over the past few months I've done the following to try and address the problem:
1) Replaced the amp with another 5 channel amp
2) replaced the line input converter twice
3) Replaced the stock head unit with another used head unit
4) Lost my f'ng mind.... lol

The only things that haven't been replaced is all the wiring they initially installed nor has the sync been replaced. My question: would there be anything I'm missing that could be causing this? Could the Sync be going bad and if so, would this cause this problem. It actually seemed to first start only when I would use sync commands or when I would make phone calls. Then it progressed to any time I was listening to music.. Help....

Brew

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
582 Posts
If the speakers are cutting in and out and you replaced the amp, it has to be the wiring somewhere along the line. Could also be a faulty output on the head unit, try swapping the front and rear RCAs on the head unit and see if it cuts out in back instead.
I'd bet installer error. It is Best Buy afterall...

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Shop Repair.

Did you take it back to them to fix the issue or did you just try to do it yourself?
I would have that shop try and fix that issue first before I spent any additional money correcting that problem.:thumb:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had it back to them at leat 5 times. I'm taking it to an independent shop on Monday. I have so much damn money into this stereo now. Never again will I have BB work on my audio...

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
OK

OK, I understand. If you took it back even one time and they still did not repair/complete the project, then you are correct to take it elsewhere.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well $500 later, I had another shop completely rewire the whole thing. They mounted the amp to the top of the trunk, completely out of site. Sounds great. Looks very clean. They couldn't believe what a garbage job bb did. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Well $500 later, I had another shop completely rewire the whole thing. They mounted the amp to the top of the trunk, completely out of site. Sounds great. Looks very clean. They couldn't believe what a garbage job bb did. Lesson learned.

So, it was the wiring that was screwed up? Glad you finally got it fixed.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts

It's good you got it fixed finally.

·
Registered
562 Posts

That's where I mounted my 5 channel amp. Was very happy with the clean look and saved space.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only problem I'm having now is a very high pitched ringing coming from one of the channels. Ugh. Trying to amp a factory head unit is for the birds.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Barely audible but if you are really listening you can hear it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The only problem I'm having now is a very high pitched ringing coming from one of the channels. Ugh. Trying to amp a factory head unit is for the birds.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Barely audible but if you are really listening you can hear it.

If they mounted it to the top of the rear deck, hopefully they put some sort of insulator between it and the amp otherwise there is a chance of a ground loop whine. The amp will ground to the deck.

Other than that... try unplugging all the rca cables and plug them in one at a time. I had a bad set with the amp kit I bought and I'll eventually have to replace it. Just used a splitter on the rear ones (had 3 sets and sub one was bad).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts