Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found my car dripping coolant today. Hard to tell exactly where it's coming from. If yall could look at the pics and tell me what you think. It was a pain to get my phone in there to get pics.

Jeremy

K

·
0 Posts
How is your coolant level? If you can reach, maybe check and make sure those bolts are tight. Doesnt seem to be a major leak so I guess it could be worse. Any warranty left on your car?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Well it certainly looks like the source could be the water pump. You should however, try to confirm by getting a closer look at the shaft area.
Shortly after you shut it off may be the best time to see it flowing a bit. Even if you have to remove the pulley.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Can't see the pics at work, but be sure to rule out the cheap/easy stuff, like a leaky hose to the degas bottle that might be dripping down.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It appears to be coming from somewhere within that recessed area. I can't get my head in there to get a good look at exactly where it's coming from. Would this be covered under the drivetrain warranty? I'm at almost 34000 miles and well over 3 years. Coolant tank level looks ok. This had to just recently start cause before today, I haven't noticed any puddles.

Jeremy

·
Registered
813 Posts
It appears to be coming from somewhere within that recessed area. I can't get my head in there to get a good look at exactly where it's coming from. Would this be covered under the drivetrain warranty? I'm at almost 34000 miles and well over 3 years. Coolant tank level looks ok. This had to just recently start cause before today, I haven't noticed any puddles.

Jeremy
It should be covered under drivetrain warranty, unless your dealer pulls the same B.S. my local dealer did when I had a cooling system issue. They blamed the failure on the $11 overflow hose that goes from the degas bottle to the thermostat, and since they claimed that was the "causal part", they wouldn't cover the water pump failure under the drivetrain warranty, because the overflow hose is not a part of the drivetrain by their definition. Quoted me $571 for parts and labor for the water pump, thermostat gasket, and hose. The "stealership". Don't let them pull that crap on you. And no, they did not get my money.

If you end up diagnosing that it is the water pump and want to DIY it, I have a brand new water pump still in its original packaging that I'll sell to you. I bought it because I thought it was bad when the dealership told me that, but it turns out all that was wrong was that my coolant was low. I topped it off and burped the system, and have driven 2,000 miles now and the coolant level has not gone down a bit.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm wondering if they'll cover mine because I have modded my car (intake, exhaust and tune). I'm thinking they'll try to blame the mods even though it's a known issue.

Jeremy

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
The "tune" is what they may use against you. A CAI or exhaust will not effect the water pump, but the tune may be used against you.

Does not cost anything to take the car in under warranty and find out....

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Unless they damage the car while it's in their possession, like they did to mine. No more stealership for me if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The "tune" is what they may use against you. A CAI or exhaust will not effect the water pump, but the tune may be used against you.

Yeah, that's my worry. I couldn't find a TSB for the pump, so my guess is they'll try to get out of it.

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked today after I got home from my girl's house. Takes me about 40 minutes of driving. Everything looked rather dry. I looked after being home for about an hour and a half. When I noticed this yesterday, I had the front end jacked up to install my fog lights. Maybe the front being up allows the coolant to weep out more? I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's the same one they pulled for mine. Note that it says it's not covered under ESP because the causal part is the overflow hose. Take it in asap before you hit 36K.
Called them today and the service guy said if the hose does not have the check valve, then they will replace the hose and the pump. I'm taking it in Friday morning.

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stopped by the dealer this morning to make sure this repair would be covered and it is indeed covered under the drivetrain warranty. Fyi, the base part number that he used to check coverage is the pump part number, 8501 I believe.

Jeremy

·
Registered
813 Posts
Stopped by the dealer this morning to make sure this repair would be covered and it is indeed covered under the drivetrain warranty. Fyi, the base part number that he used to check coverage is the pump part number, 8501 I believe.

Jeremy
You have a better dealer than me. That base part number is what makes all the difference.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts